Ordering chickens online/receiving through mail

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by skyfilly, Jul 30, 2014.

1. skyfilly

skyfilly In the Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Hi everyone,

I've been considering ordering some pullets online and having them sent by mail. What's everyone's experience with this? Good or bad idea? And what Canada hatchery is best to order from?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I've mail ordered chicks from four different hatcheries on a number of occasions and have been satisfied with the service and birds of all four of them. I've never lost any more than a couple of chicks from any order, and since all of them put 2 or 3 extra in the box, I got what I paid for. Unfortunately, none of them were Canadian hatcheries, so you might want to post this on one of the Canadian threads at https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=canadian+members. You could also post it in our Chicken Breeders and Hatcheries section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in finding the right hatchery.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the Word Staff Member Premium Member 7 Years

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good suggestions/links from Michael and TwoCrows, good luck with your soon to be new chicks.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging 7 Years

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

7. skyfilly

skyfilly In the Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Does anyone know anything about cackle hatchey? If they got chicks from them and if they ship to Canada?
    I'd really like to order some from this place.

8. SMonroe1990

SMonroe1990 Chirping

Jun 17, 2014
    New York
    I have heard good things about Cackle. As for if they ship to Canada I'm not sure. I myself ordered from Meyer. I had all 6 chicks the next day and all were healthy and all survived. Good luck getting your chicks and be sure to keep us posted. [​IMG]

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've ordered from Cackle hatchery several times and was happy with their service and birds, but unfortunately they don't ship to other countries (I would assume that includes Canada). Good luck in getting your chicks.

10. ChickMagnet64

ChickMagnet64 In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    New Milford, CT
    Welcome Canada! I purchased 15 of my hens online. I was a little nervous I'll admit. End result, I lost two the first couple days. I compare that to the eight I bought previously at Tractor Supply who all are doing well six months later. But then you don't know how many TS lost themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: