1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ordering Chicks....have a couple questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Browtine77, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Browtine77

Browtine77 New Egg

Feb 15, 2016
    I'm looking to order 6 Dominique chicks from a hatchery called Chickensforbackyard.com. Looks like they are reliable but was hoping for any feedback. Also, I live in Pennsylvania and the chicks would be shipped from Texas. Is this a problem.

Thanks.

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    that hatchery is double the price of Meyer. They charge 1.50 for Mareks vaccine as well and Meyers cost is .50 cents. There female barred Rock with vaccidentally was 6 something while Meyers was 3 something. That's all I know about them.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
  5. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    But, Meyer gets you on the shipping. I used to purchase from Meyer, but this year they want $40 to ship me my birds. I got the same amount and breeds from McMurray for less money and only $17 shipping.

6. Browtine77

Browtine77 New Egg

Feb 15, 2016
    They only thing is with most other hatchery's right now they want to order a minimum of 15 or 25 chicks. I'm only looking for 6 right now.

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    That does limit you with your choices of online hatcheries. Did you look at the review I sent you a link to? The member that wrote the review thought chickensforbackyards was part of Cackle but they handled the small orders.

8. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    1 person likes this.
  9. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Wow 17 dollars is a excellent shipping cost! DO you know if that was for priority or for express ship? This year I paid 50 dollars to ship mine from Meyer. 17 dollars seems right at cost. They sure aren't making money on shipping. A few years back I had to ship a juvenile bird back to a breeder I bought it from. They charged me 75. to ship to me, shipping backd ACTUAL COST was 19.dollars! I was so suprised! That's when I learned most mark up shipping to a increased amount for profit. But it seems where you ordered from isn't doing that! That's a great deal!

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You have to compare what you get with shipping, plus look at everything else to get a total cost. Some add costs for other things, like picking different breeds instead of all the same breed. Just looking at “shipping” in isolation is comparing apples and oranges.

If someone is shipping only six chicks this time of year they are probably going to use special packaging and will probably add some chemical warmers. Special handling costs more. Insurance costs might be higher too.

I have not used them so I can’t comment on them. Reading that review it sounds like they are not a hatchery themselves but “drop-ship”. MyPetChicken and others do the same. They use different hatcheries and have special deals with them. In that review it sound like they are using Cackle but if your chicks would come from Texas they might be using Ideal.

I don’t know what the shipping routes are from that Texas hatchery (probably Ideal) and your post office. In general you want those to be as direct as possible. They will probably fly so they may get there faster than from a closer hatchery. It’s all in the shipping routes. Most of the time these shipments come in just fine but occasionally there is a glitch, especially if you get a snowstorm or some bad weather. Also avoid ordering where they will be shipped at a holiday. Complaints of bad shipments go up on here at holidays.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by