1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ordering chicks in winter will they survive the trip

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by blueseal, Jan 19, 2011.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have ordered from cackle hatchery before on april 3rd 2009, all arrived live and healthy. was wondering if i ordered for a febuary ship date if they would make it from missouri to maine in the cold. anyone had success with chicks this time of year . i want to get a early start on my laying birds this year.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    February makes it a bit riskier, but many times they will add warmers... if you ask...and if you don't have enough birds they'll add packing peanuts (roos for warmth.)

3. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i would like to order cackles 15 minimum for febuary but i dont want to end up with frozen chicks. my luck they get stuck in a snow storm along the way . just looking for feedback on anyone that has done this. this time of year. thanks.

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I ordered from Ideal in January - just got about 15 extra roos for warmth.

5. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    wow 15 roos i dont want that. lol.

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Depends on the weather...which you don't know ahead of time.I had 25 from MM last Feb ship normally it would be pretty safe here.It was an ice and snow event freezing cold...half were frozen upon opening the box.They offered to replace them and ship free with peanuts...since I can hatch all the roosters for everyone that could possibly need one I sure didn't need any and had to place a second order equaling 25-those were credited to my account and pay all the shipping...instead of 12 pullets 13 roosters and free shipping.

7. shanyalv

shanyalv Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2010
    I ordered from ideal and both orders this winter I had a lot of loss with my SF I think that the LF do much better in transit.

8. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I had 25 EEs delivered this last Dec. 15th from Randall Burkey hatchery. The weather here in Ky was in the teens. I can't believe ALL chicks survived and I haven't lost one yet. There was 1 packing peanut.

9. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    From my own experience and reading the forums here on BYC I would say the chicks will make it IF all goes perfectly. If nobody leaves the box in a cold place like a truck or loading dock, if there are no delays due to weather, if...

Disclaimer: The following is not meant as a criticism of anyone's decisions besides my own, but if I had heard this in January of last year I may have made a better decision!

I ordered last year for a very late February delivery and it was just this side of a complete disaster! I cried and still blame myself for being so impatient. My livelihood did not depend on getting ducklings and chicks that early, I should have waited until they had a better chance.

10. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i want some white leghorns from cackle right now . but dont dare to order them yet. cold here. want to get a start on them . maybe 1 more month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by