1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ordering Chicks - Mixing Breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by quietlyscheming, Sep 24, 2011.

1. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    So my coop is nearly complete along with the fence and I'm now looking at ordering chicks. I plan on having a total of 6 hens and no roosters. I do have a few questions though.

1. Can you mix breeds? I'm new to all this and wanted to have a variety of birds before eventually expanding and picking my favorites to stick with. (1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Black Australorp, 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Buff Brahma, 1 Ameraucana)

2. Does anyone recommend a site to buy your chicks online? I was thinking of ordering from Meyer Hatchery but would like to hear from anyone who's ordered from them or from other sites.

As always, thanks for the help and feedback! [​IMG]

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If you order from a hatchery you can accomplish two things at once as anything you order will be of mixed breeding at some point and some hatchery breeds are more mixed than others. I like how you got all your stuff set-up and ready to go before getting your stock, so many don't, Kudo's to you. If you want to have several hens of different breeds living together that is perfectly fine and so many do it, yes it would be fine and preferred.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  3. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Almost all breeds can go together, but Polish need to only be with Polish, as they will get picked on. So as long as youu don't want any of them, you should be fine miixing just about any of them. I am one of those people that would rather get my chhicks from a feed store or local source, rather than ordering them, but there's nothiing wrong with having them shipped. I have just heard horror stories and woould rather see the chick i am buying. Otherwiise, you just never know how it will bbe when it gets to you.

4. centurion90

centurion90 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Loxahatchee
    Mixing breeds usually works out fine, but i would suggest doing some research for compatibility. Each chicken has its own personality, though their are some breed personality traits. Some breeds can be very dominant and pick on gentler breeds excessively. Also, looking for local sources is a good way to begin raising chickens. Most people have no problems, but there is always that unlucky person that has a bad experience ordering online.

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    LAst week I got an order from Meyer of 15 chicks, 3 each of Australorps, Dominiques, Welsumers, Light Brahmas and Wyandottes. One of the Wyandottes died an hour after I got the birds home. So far they are getting along very well, playing and chasing each other. I do see a tendency of chicks of the same breed to sleep together. I'm not sure why that is, but when they're awake, they're mixing without a problem. I've seen no pecking each other, aside from some rough playfullness, and no other social problems, but my brooder is plenty big.

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Quote:I have 2 Polish in a mixed flock and dont have any problems. Once in awhile someone may get a little interested in Einsteins crest, but no real problem with them pulling it out. They have been together free range and in the coop all summer

7. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    I have ordered from Meyers, the chicks were healthy and looked like the breeds I chose, I am very happy with Mt Healthy also

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I tend to agree that if your birds are contained, breeds like silkies, polish, and other crested breeds probably shouldn't be mixed in with "regular" breeds. Free rangers do better mixing these breeds in, since the birds have tons of space.
    Do keep in mind, that even when you order pullets only, there's still a chance that you could end up with a cockerel or two in the mix. As any hatchery will tell you, sexing chicks "is an art, not a science." Most give a 90% accuracy guarantee, but on small orders that doesn't always play out with the percentages. I did end up with one cockerel in my February order of pullets.
    Nature's Hatchers, Meyer, MPC (which technically works through Meyer) are the only hatcheries I'm aware of that allows really small orders. I've only ordered from MPC myself, and have been pleased with health.

9. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Hi and [​IMG] !

You are doing everything right with your preparation. Your coop AND run is built (very important) and you have researched the breeds you would like to have. [​IMG]

Your chick choices should be fine together. That is one of the advantages of ordering from an on-line hatchery-so many different breeds to choose from. It really makes for a beautiful and unique flock. I love this and have ordered chicks 4 times from MyPetChicken (which is sourced by Meyer Hatchery) and have never had any problems. Now is a good time to order, especially since you live in a warmer climate. Your chickens will be laying eggs for you in the early spring! Congratulations and be sure to share pictures when they arrive! [​IMG]

10. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    The ones you chose should be great together. [​IMG] I prefer to order from Welp, the seem to be the cheapest. However, they do have the 25 chick minimum and you have to order at least 5 of of a breed to save on their packaging costs (they have to pay someone to put each chick into the box) so it doesn't sound like they would work for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by