Ordering Chicks Need Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeevan Singh, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Jeevan Singh

Jeevan Singh Chirping

Jan 23, 2018
    Has anyone ordered from a hatchery and had to wait this long? I know the chicks aren’t available until mid February, but anyone who waited this long how was it?

Attached Files:

chickadoodles likes this.
  2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    Next to the desired ship date is a calendar. See if you can click it and change the date. Also you don’t need the grow gel.

3. Jeevan Singh

Jeevan Singh Chirping

Jan 23, 2018
    I changed the date to be like that because it won’t change and I don’t want it shipped earlier without me knowing. What’s the Grogel anyways? I just want my chicks to be healthy and alive.:wee

4. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    ??you changed the date because it won’t change? They will send you a email when they ship so you know.

It’s a baggie that you mix up after the chicks arrive. Some electroyte mix, I never opened mine when I got it.

chickadoodles and Jeevan Singh like this.
  5. Jeevan Singh

Jeevan Singh Chirping

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean when I tried to change the date the shipping date always stayed the same. May 9 will work I just want to know if anyone has waited this long and all their chicks came in good condition

6. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler

Oct 10, 2016
    Southern Ohio
    Oh they will be up to 3 days old when they arrive to you. They won’t hatch in February and then arrive in May if that’s what you’re worried about.

Jeevan Singh and chickadoodles like this.
  7. Moose364

Moose364 In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2017
    East Texas
    More than likely it's the first date they will have the chicks available for sell all other dates or already sold out, a lot depends on the breed you are ordering. most of the time common chicks are earmarked to go to feed stores and places

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Call the hatchery directly, and ask all the questions you need them to answer. Have them sent you a catalog too! I find that ordering by phone is much more user friendly, and gives totally up to date information.
    Mary

aart, Jeevan Singh and chickadoodles like this.
  9. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    When I have ordered Grogel with the shipment from Meyer, they put the Grogel in with the chicks to eat on the way.

Jeevan Singh likes this.
  10. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    They did not do this for my chicks. I ordered 26 chicks from Meyer and they were DOA. I ordered grow-gel and electrolytes to come with the chicks. They were in packets in dried powdered form, underneath the shipping material, underneath the chicks. In fact, when I called Meyer to report the dead chicks, the customer service person asked me if I had retrieved the grow-gel and electrolytes since they would not refund the cost of those. I'm glad she told me that and was glad when I returned to the post office, that they still had my box of dead chicks. The nice postal employee donned gloves and fished out the packets of electrolytes and grow-gel for me. I have no idea if the chicks would have survived if the grow-gel was available to them for the shipment phase since I do not know what caused them to die (cold/exposure to wind/lack of air?).

Jeevan Singh likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: