ordering chicks online

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NJ777, Sep 21, 2011.

1. NJ777

NJ777 New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    Has anyone ordered chicks from mypetchicken.com? I want to know your experience and opinion if you have. I'm concerned about the fact my chicks would ship across the country.

2. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    My Pet Chicken's chicks come from Meyer hatcheries in Ohio and are shipped from there. I just got a batch from Meyer directly, they took 48 hrs to arrive in MD and all except 1 were healthy and active. The one I think was trampled during transport and could not be revived.

3. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    I didn't order through My Pet Chicken, but did order 3 BR's through Meyers. I was concerned as well as they would be shipping from Ohio (not to mention the giant carbon footprint my chicks have!).
    They were hatched on a Monday shipped that afternoon and arrived to my post office in CT at 7:30am Wednesday morning. All 3 were happy and alive. They were shipped with a heating pad to keep them warm and the people at Meyers made a nest to keep them snug in the box. Its officially been a week and all 3 chicks are thriving.

If I did it again, I would try to look locally first, then if I couldn't find the breed I wanted I would order online.

There was a thread regarding My Pet Chicken on here... I'll see if I can link it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=571029

4. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I have ordered twice from them: April 2009 - 8 females, variety of breeds, all were healthy and we still have all of them except for 2 RIRs who turned out to be mean once they were grown. April 2010 - 6 females, variety of breeds, all were healthy and we still have all except for a SS that unfortunately was a Roo.

I would definitely not have any reservations about ordering from them again. Shipping charges are pretty steep if you are only getting a few chicks. I believe Meyer also allows you to order as few as 3 chicks, but again, you will pay a lot for shipping.

Good luck, I absolutely love baby chicks.[​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I ordered 25 LF pullets from MPC during one of the sales, and only one chick was dead upon arrival, mostly trampled, I think. Over the next two days, another one succumbed. But MPC had included two extras, so I still got 25 pullets. (Well, maybe 24 - I am beginning to suspect one chick of being a boy. Pretty good sexing, I'd say.)

I will order again from MPC, and probably from Ideal, too. And probably from Metzer Farms as well... next year. (Just because I need the break from chicks.... given that I've won two hatching egg auctions and will be incubating Dellies and Speckled Sussex eggs by the end of the week....)

6. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    I have ordered from Mypetchicken at least 6 six times now (in the last 4 months). So far I have been very satisfied! Only lost 2 out of like sixty something chicks, all very healthy and thriving. I have gotten some very sweet, docile chicks who love to be held and a few skitish ones also. I love Mypetchicken because they are very humane with the excess roosters, says on the website that all unsold roosters go to auction in Amish land, other hatcheries are not so humane. They sell/ship about 6,000 chicks a week and they have a great selection! I am in NY and most orders get to me next day with express shipping, I say GO FOR IT!

Trish

7. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    I ordered 5 standard chicks from MPC in August. They shipped from Ohio on Monday and arrived in St. Louis on Thursday Sept 1, after going to all the way down to a sorting center in Memphis first. They spent close to 72 hours in that box. It seems like Express mail isn't very express or direct sometimes. This was the week immediately following Hurricane Irene so that may have lead to some delays or rerouting. Anyhow, all 5 chicks arrived alive and all 5 are still happy and healthy. I would order from them again.

8. MandiRock

MandiRock Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    I ordered 3 white leghorns and 3 barred rocks from My Pet Chicken last month. They came in on schedule, healthy as they could be. They are doing great now [​IMG]

9. seattlehens83

seattlehens83 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Seattle
    I live in Seattle, Wa. I ordered from Mypetchicken.com this summer and my order arrived at the post office about 4 weeks ago. I ordered one of each of the following chicks with the marek's vacination and sexed as pullets: Plymouth Rock (Barred), Plymouth Rock (White) , Red Star, Black Austrolop and a Speckel Sussex. My order was supposed to ship on Monday however due to a low number on one of my requested breeds they were delayed until Tusday. They did contact me on Monday afternoon and let me choose to have a substitute breed switched. Chicks arrived happy and healthy in a cardboard box through USPS at the local post office. They did mark my cell number incorrectly on the box so I would just be sure to call your post office each morning. Good experience and good customer service would have used another hatchery or service but none were able to do so few chicks of the breeds I wanted. GOOD LUCK!

10. themenagerie

themenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    I just got my MPC order of 6 Welsummers yesterday. THe chicks shipped out of Ohio on Monday, I received them at noon the next day. They're healthy & active. I too had my reservations about ordering chicks online, but everything worked out great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by