Ordering Chicks online

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rich Marshall, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Rich Marshall

Rich Marshall Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    I want to order 3 chickes next spring and wondered if anyone had hachery preferences. I am in Westchester NY. Also I see that some hatcheries offer noculations against desease, can anyone shine any light in that area? Thanks

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Welcome, glad you are here [​IMG]

I am sorry, I cannot help you with the online situation. I know MyPetChickens.com does small orders, and I have heard that they do great with that. Good luck! Also, I have never gotten my with vaccines, so can't help there either. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

3. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Around here (no big cities!) you can't order less than 25 chicks. So, due to this, I have gotten over 75 chickens by mail in the last 4 years.
    I ordered from Mcmurray twice- the first time they sent me extras (all unsorted, 2 undoccumented. Took me over a week to figure out I had 28!) the second time was just my order (total chicks = 53) all arrived happy, healthy, and vaccinated for Mareks. I lost ONE 3 weeks in from batch one. I think he was smothered but the bigger, rowdier chicks (he was a delicate bantam and almost all the others were dual purpose birds) They also, I found out, have a pretty well deserved rep for mean plymouth rocks.
    The las order I got was from IDEAL. I dislike their website, and their order confirmation/contact information system sucks. I had to reorder because they called the wrong number and got no answer then canceled my order. They didn't even tell me. There I was on the chick ship date waiting, and no chicks. When I finally DID get my order (faster shipping then McMurray), my 25 were sorted in a divided box. But 2 days later, one mysteriously expired. The survivors are the friendliest chicks ever. They are so sweet they have convinced my older flock to be nicer. I love them to bits.

Whichever you decide to go with, put your order in as soon as possible and set your ship date for a time when the weather is starting to warm up. If you ship too early, the cold is hard on them. Too late and they don't get to goo out till the heat of summer (by which time you are tired of them in the house-trust me!

4. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
    I ordered from My Pet Chicken also. They say they can send as little as 3 chicks but it all depends on where they are shipping to. The chicks need to stay warm and that determines how many or few they ship. I live in Mass just over the Conn line. I had to buy 6 chicks. I ordered 6 cochins from them. They called and said they had a problem with the hatching and could only send 3 cochins and offered me my choice of 3 other kinds. I had no problem with that. When I got the box 'o chicks there were 7 chicks. (They sent an extra just "in case".) In my opinion, they have great customer service.

I would recommend My Pet Chicken. They did a great job packaging the chicks I got. In fact, I'll be ordering from them next spring. (I want more cochins!!)

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Welcome from the soggy side of Washington State.

It's not safe to ship just 3 day old chicks anywhere. They are not able to keep each other warm enough, in order to survive the shipping time. This is why most places require a person to buy a minimum of 25 chicks at a time. There is one or two hatchery that will ship less, but they will not grantee that the chicks will still be alive on arrival. It's better to get 3 chicks from your local feed store this spring. Or you could locate a breeder of the type of chicken you want and buy straight from the breeder. Best wishes on your new chicks.

6. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

7. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    [​IMG] from South Carolina.. I ordered 6 chicks from My Pet Chicken. They were great to order from, and the chicks arrived safe and sound. They are 2 weeks old now, so I received them recently. We had ours vacc. for Mereks.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome!! [​IMG] Have never ordered from a hatchery so I can't help you there!!

9. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I've had two orders from Meyer Hatchery - and was very pleased with them. One order was for 4 chicks. They included a heat pad with them and the chicks arrived in great health. I highly recommend Meyer. Other hatcheries do a fine job, too, I"m sure. Meyer just has a low minimum - which is really nice for backyard chicken owners.

10. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

If you can wait until spring there are some local breeders that you could just pick up your own chicks in person.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by