Ordering chicks! Opinions on Murray Mcmurray...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicks Galore3, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    What are your thoughts on Murray Mcmurray hatchery? What breeds do they have? Also, I am planning to get a rooster- wanting a quiet and friendly one. Thoughts?

2. Farmer-John

Farmer-John Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Yorkville, Indiana
    I cannot speak to Murrey, I know many have utilized them with good results. I look for local breeders if I looking for something very specific, having said that, I have had very good luck with Welp hatchery out of Iowa.. The price also includes shipping. I have, and have had many different breeds of roosters, (my experience) Buff Orpington's are very gentle and friendly, then again, they all seem to have a mind of their own at times. My Barred Rock was very friendly, just as my Maran... my gold laced on the other hand is a beast... but like i said, you just never know.. If they get to ornery, they can always provide you with a meal and roosters are usually very inexpensive and in abundence.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've ordered from MM, and had great luck with them. All of my chicks arrived in good shape and they were great layers. If you're looking for production and nice pets, ordering from a hatchery is great. If you're wanting to show, however, I would try to find what you're looking for from a local breeder. Good luck!

4. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I don't know about showing...I think it would be fun, but I don't know what it is entailed ect. I think I might get a BO roo, I LOVE buff orpingtons!

5. MIchickens

MIchickens Poultrygeist

Dec 1, 2012
    Fostoria, Michigan
    A little info on Murray McMurray. I received my chick a week ago (27 Jan 13). I ordered 47 total chicks of various breeds. I even went as far as to call my main post office hub and ask them to call me and I would pick them up whenever they got there. I received the call at 11:00pm on a Sunday. I drove the 2 hours round trip to get them faster to reduce the stress....if I had waited to get them from my local post office...who knows how many more would have died. 2 of the chicks were DOA in the box when I opened it. Later that day 3 more died. And the next day 3 more died. 1 day after that I only lost 1. Also, I ordered 4 Golden laced Wyandotte's...they didn't ship them to me. Their was a sticker on the inside of the box that said they said they ran out. Now keep in mind I ordered these chicks 3 months in advance. So there's no excuse for not sending them.

OK, now I have 3 chicks with crossed beaks and 1 with an eye problem. I will probably cull them tomorrow.

I would suggest trying to find a local hatchery around you and buy them from there. I am not happy at all with McMurray. Although their people were very nice on the phone each time I called...I believe their chicks are sub-standard. Be prepared to lose a 1/4 of them due to death or sub standard breeding.

I'm just sayin....lol

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    My opinion based on past experience is to avoid them like the plague. Birds vaccinated for Mareks contracted Mareks, scoliosis, egg yolk peritonitis, are but a few common problems with their stock. Lots of unhappy customers last year who bought them from stock at a local feed store. Overlooking the genetics of their stock proves they are unscrupulous. Unfortunately I doubt they're the only ones.

7. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I took MIchickens advice and ordered local- Only 5 minutes away from me! They don't have many breeds to choose from but, that's ok.

8. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    Now I'm worried! I ordered 3 chicks that are supposed to be delivered the last week of april - Egyptian Fayoumis. I must say the birds were about $10 but shipping was $50. Now, I'm wondering if I should cancel the order.

9. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Bedford, NH
    I ordered from McMurray.

10. SussexChicks

SussexChicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    I ordered 10 Speckled Sussex and they gave me an extra Speckled Sussex free along with 26 Jersey Giants which are not mine and 8 extras and the free exotic

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by