Ordering chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Chicken Boyy, Oct 29, 2008.

1. The Chicken Boyy

The Chicken Boyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Ok I want to order chicks with a friend and he believes its to cold and its only about 60F even if it was lower with a heat lamp they would survive as long as they dont get any draft!

Am I right or is he right?

[​IMG]

2. The Chicken Boyy

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    some help me i want to beat him and order the chicks!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you can provide food, water, and proper heating though the time they are feathered, you can keep them any time. If you don't heat their living space to about 90-95 for the first week, you'll have problems.

4. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    Just keep them warm, dry and well fed and they will be fine.

5. The Chicken Boyy

Oct 17, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Ok i figured i was right!

thankzzz [​IMG]

6. J. Jamison

J. Jamison Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    My chicks shipped out today and it may take a couple of days before I get them. Im a little worried about them getting here because at night its been getting down in the high 30's to low 40's. Once I get them they will be fine. Just keep the heat on them and keep them plenty of food. Fresh water is a must too. As long as they stay warm they will be fine.

7. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I just received my order of 25 today and they are the cutest little fuzzy butts. All 26 of them are great and doing good.

8. wxdude99

wxdude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Montgomery Area
    I got mine 3 weeks ago, and it's been unusually cold here in Alabama. I kept them inside in a spare room under a 90 watt lamp for the first two weeks, and they've been out in my garage with the same lamp for the past week. And it's been getting in the low 30s for the past three days. They're doing great. They're not even huddling together in the mornings. I plan on putting them out in a coop at 8 weeks. They should be just fine. I only have 4 though. I keep them in a big rubbermaid tub. I wouldn't want to have more than 4 in my garage. I probably would've had to have built a small pen or something. If you order a small number, it should be easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by