Ordering chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cdascotto, Jan 1, 2017.

1. cdascotto

cdascotto New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    Hello everyone, my family is brand new at raising chicks. We ordered 4 chicks online which will be here in May.
    I let my daughter pick them
    1) Australorp
    1) Buff Orpington
    1) Blue Orpington
    1) Welsummer
    Does any one know if they will be good together?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! If birds are raised to together as chicks there are usually nor problems with their social interactions with each other. Plus, these are all birds that are close to each other in size and that will help. There will still develop a pecking order but that is to be expected. Also, as a chicken raising newcomer, you might consider checking out the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    It is packed with useful articles that will prepare you well for when your chicks arrive. Feel free to peruse the forums and ask any questions you might have - BYC is a helpful, friendly place! Best wishes!!

1 person likes this.
  3. cdascotto

cdascotto New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    Thank you

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Looks like a nice mix to me. Good luck with your first flock!

5. cdascotto

cdascotto New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    Thank you for the advice, happy new year

6. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! How exciting for you to be starting your new chicken adventures! Those are some lovely breeds there and I'm sure as redsoxs says with them being raised together from chicks they will do just fine.

Wishing you the very best of luck and be sure to ask any questions that you need to. Everyone here to help and very friendly, enjoy BYC :frow

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Those should be nice breeds. [​IMG] Unfortunately since you aren't getting them until May, they may not lay eggs until late October or November. As long as they have enough space and correct nutrition, you shouldn't have any problems.

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under cdascotto [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great responses, I will just add that I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You'll be getting some good breeds. Were you allowed to choose what sex you want them to be? Some hatcheries will "sex" them for you, at added charge.

10. cdascotto

cdascotto New Egg

Dec 31, 2016
    Oh yes I spared no expense to make them hens, my wife has named the four hens after the golden girls

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by