Ordering chicks .....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickengirlnm, Oct 12, 2007.

1. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    Ok I dont want to sound dumb or anything but I have read lots of post talkng about Mypetchicken so I thought I would go to the site myself - I love the idea of not having to order 25 at one time I love my chicks but really dont need 25 more !!
    I am really looking to get " blue " chicks - really would like some Blue Orp. but did not see any on the site- should I wait till spring and try again?
    How do I go about ordering them I have never done this- I ordered my girls through the local feed store last time.
    Also I have read about alot of chicks having no becks does this happen when ordering from Mypetchicken?
    sorry about all the questions, any help would be great.
    Thank you
    Julie

2. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Probably your best bet is to wait until next year. That way you'll get the variety you want. Everyone had pretty much stopped selling chicks this time of year. You could always try Ideal Poultry . You just have to spend a minimum of $20 rather then buy a minimum number of chicks. They might have something blue. I don't think you're going to find blue Orps from a hatchery though, you'll have to find someone who breeds them, like Speckledhen and get some hatching eggs.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    My pet chickn doesn't debeak their day old chicks - most hatcheries don't unless you are ordering older or 'started' chickens that they have grown out for you. Just be sure to read all the fine print.

I ordered from Meyerhatchery.com and had a flawless experience - all chicks arrived less than 24 hours old from OH to NC and in perfect condition. (they don't debeak chicks, but do debeak their started pullets/17 wk-ers)

They have a good selection and have min order of 3 chicks - you just have to pay extra shipping to include a warm pack.

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong here, but it was my impression that Mypetchicken is a broker, rather than hatches their own chicks?

Meyer hatches their own, so you are dealing direct with the company, and unlike some other hatcheries, does not include 'males for warmth'. I believe it is Ideal that does that. If you are sure you only want girls, then be careful of that - be sure to read all the FAQ and Shipping info on the websites.

Finally, waiting until spring will definately give you more selection on breeds.

Have fun and good luck with your baby chicks!

4. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    well I guess it is settled than I will wait till spring [​IMG] to add some blue to the flock.
    I am also hoping to get some babies from the flock I have here but with a banty roo and standard sized girls not sure if that will happen but there is always hope [​IMG]

thanks for all the help.

p.s - I would love to get some babies from speckledhen but unfortunality she only ships eggs ( maybe if I beg and beg and beg I might get her to change her mind LOL )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by