Ordering Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by anoki, Jan 17, 2011.

1. anoki

anoki New Egg

Sep 22, 2010
    I am planning to start keeping chickens, been researching for months and am ready to take the plunge. I figured although they will be mine I will present them to my nieces for Easter (no worries, I plan to raise them!). SinceI want specific breeds I thought it best to order on-line. I've checked out My Pet Chicken and they seem able to ship small quantities (I need 4-6). My questions: 1) Are they a dependable place from which to order? 2) How far in advance of Easter (April 24 I believe) shoudl I order?

Thanks folks-
    F

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] I've heard that MyPetChicken is reliable and can sex them at birth. You could probably get more information in the Chicken Breeders And Hatcheries thread though [​IMG] And it depends how old you want them to be before you give them to your niece

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    The order dates fill up in advance, so you should be able to select which week period you want your chicks shipped. That being the case order them as soon as possible so that you can reserve the week you want them shipped.

I would not plan on giving them to your nieces until they are at least a few weeks old. They are pretty delicate the first couple of weeks after shipping. My children are 13 and I have a "no touch" policy for the first couple of weeks - - LOOK, but don't touch.

4. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    I just placed my second order with My Pet Chicken. They will ship small orders of chicks, but it does depend on where you live. Their site has a page where you can type in your zip code and they will tell you the minimum number of chickens they will ship to you. They do their best to sex the chicks, but any hatchery will guarantee 90 per cent accuracy with that (unless you are getting sex links, which can be reliably sexed at hatch). As for when to order, look at the breeds you want to get and there is a chart that will give the dates those breeds will be available. They generally ship on Monday or Tuesday, and the chicks will get to you on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. So just make sure you pick a week that will get them to you before Easter and you should be set.

I've had good experience with MPC, tho last year was the first time I'd ordered. The chicks were healthy and arrived safely. I didn't lose any (I ordered 10) to shipping issues or health problems after. If you have any questions, just call them. They are super helpful.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. Kristin.marlies

Kristin.marlies Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2011
    Ditto. I have received all healthy chicks from them the two times I ordered them and I am expecting my next ten in May.

Yipee !

6. anoki

anoki New Egg

Sep 22, 2010
    YOu folks are AWESOME!!! Thanks for all the helpful advice. I was going to wait to order but will try to get to it this week...that'll help me move on getting a coop (or someone to build one)! I haden't thought of keeping hte chicks a few weeks before giving them....good advice, they'll still be chicks and won't be as delicate (although I know caution will still be needed...thankfully these are gentle childres!) Thanks again everyone-

7. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Okay I have a question, what does everyone use for chicken identification and tracking. I was thinking colored numbered leg bands. I have 36 babies to be tracked. I also have 12 more in the bator. Normally I would not care to track them, but I have been working on this line for 6 years. This poses another question, does this mean it is my line know?

8. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    Right before Easter is a VERY busy time for hatcheries and dates sell out fast, so order early to avoid disappointment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by