ordering chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Georgia Nana, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Georgia Nana

Georgia Nana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    I want about 5 Black Star hens, and I figure if I order day old ckicks now, they ought to be ready to lay by about April. Is this logical, or should I wait until spring to get chicks? I have the equipment and the facilities to raise them, and a separate pen for them until they are old enough to join the flock. Please tell me if my thinking is right! Also, where is the best place to order chicks? I don't want straight run, as I live in town and am permitted only hens...NO roosters. It would be my luck to get all roos! Waiting to hear from all of you who know oh, so much more than this beginnner!![​IMG]

2. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I think that it would be fine for you to order chicks now since you live in a warmer state. There are a few places that allow small orders of sexed chicks (My Pet Chicken & Randall Burkey). I personally have not ordered from either of these companies. Maybe some one else can tell you which company is best.

3. Georgia Nana

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    Thanks so much!

4. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I have ordered chicks from my pet chicken and i didn't have any problems. I have beautiful healthy chickens from them.

5. VAgal

VAgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    We ordered ours from ChickensforBackyards.com. They are all happy and healthy, only time will tell if they really are all girls. They did mess up my order and sent them in 2 batches, but the lady at the post office said they did a great job on shipping packaging. If I had to do it again I'd probably go with mypetchicken or meyer, primarily because meyer has a bigger selection.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My first 8 chickens were hatched on October 1, 2009. I raised them throughout the winter just fine, and they started laying in May and June. *I* think it's a great time.....

And I highly recommend MyPetChicken for small orders, especially if you want them sexed.

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I just got some the other day from Meyer, the first time I've ever ordered chicks in the mail, and they came healthy and on time. I've always ordered eggs before, via auction, but this time I just got a few meaties.

8. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    As long as you can keep them warm enough for the first few weeks until they are fully feathered out then you will be fine.
    I ordered several times now from Ideal Poultry and have never had a doa or lost any of their chicks and all the sexed ones I have ordered have been 100% accurate, ordered silkies as strait run from them. My post office even lost the chicks for a day and a half 1 time and all of the chicks were alive and healthy and very happy to eat and drink on their own right out of the box. I even have gotten some breeding and show quality chicks from them! Customer Service was wonderful! If you do not see any availability on their website for the breed you are wanting give them a call to confirm that...... I called them to place my last order and even though the website said they were out of a color of silkie they ended up having a better hatch than they thought and they called me to offer them knowing I was wanting some!!!!

Good Luck!

9. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    Georgia Nana, I'm also getting 6 chicks in mid October. I've read a LOT of advice from the folks at BYC and I've decided to go with MyPetChicken. I live in Reno, NV. and the winter will be a little colder than your location, but with proper attention and care I feel confident in raising them this time of year. I'm gettin' 3 BR's and 3 RIR's....what are you getting? Good luck and keep us posted on the chicks' progress... [​IMG]

10. Georgia Nana

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    Wow! Thanks for all the good advice!! This forum is Awesome! I will spend tomorrow on the computer trying to find the "egg laying machines", Black Stars! I understand that they are merely black sex linked...Is this correct? If so, the breeder that I got my Marans from had some black sex linked pullets the same age (if he still has some!) Would like to know before I call him whether black sex linked and Black Stars are one in the same!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by