Ordering Cornish X chicks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by halo, Jan 18, 2010.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Pretty much all the major hatcheries offer cornish x chicks. Am I assuming incorrectly that they pretty much all get them from the same stock, or are there differences from one hatchery to the next. Has anyone noticed a difference in ordering chicks from one hatchery to the next?

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I've noticed a difference between Sunnyside and Ideal, i like Sunnyside better. But I don't know if they come from different stock

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What kind of difference? Enough to change your order from one to the other?

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    They don't seem to die as easy, don't have the leg problems and taste better. yes I would change an order.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks, thats surprising.

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    in last year order i only lost one cornish and it was because that foolish bird went into to a box on a hot day and cooked himself

7. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I had the same experience with Ideal, they had more leg problems and I had more losses with them than from when I ordered from Welp Hatchery. They were raised under the same exact conditions in the same pen together.
    I got the ones from Ideal two weeks earlier than Welp, after brooding they all ended up together and I saw a big difference.

8. LeghornJosh

LeghornJosh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    I am planning to order from welp this spring, its good to hear that the chicks are up to par!

9. MrDoh

MrDoh New Egg

Oct 13, 2008
    South East Texas
    I order from Ideal because its closest to me and I've always read that should effect the decision of which hatchery.

I've not had any major problems with them to speak of, but I would think every hatch and every chick has some variances no matter where they come from.

The one question I have for those that order from Ideal and have problems (or anywhere else, really): Could weather, distance and time in transit be related to problems or losses?

Lots of variables that could play a role.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by