ordering ducks, sexed or straight run?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by klf73, Jul 3, 2011.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I am ordering some cayuga and chocolate runners. I was going to order sexed bird, don't mind paying extra for what I need, but the problem is I don't know what I need [​IMG] If they were chickens I would know what to order but I am new to ducks. I was thinking about 5 chocolate runners and 5 cayuga...so what do I want for gender? 2 drakes and 3 hens(not sure what girl ducks are called....)? any help is appreciated [​IMG]

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I would do 1 drake for each breed.

Usually most people keep 1 drake for at least 6-10 ducks.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:awesome, thanks [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I'm overrun in drakelets and Cockerals! [​IMG]

I'm hopeing my 3 Runner babies are a trio! [​IMG]

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I'll cross my fingers for you too [​IMG]

I had some cayuga eggs in the bator on day 25, went to move them to the hatcher and they all quit(4)... [​IMG] these were my first duck eggs(shipped too) so I was hoping they would hatch. Dh just gave me "the look" and just said why didn't you order ducklings?" so.....I ordered from Metzer because they have the chocolate runners I want and cayugas....he wants me to order a couple weeks out so he can finish the duck house/run....can't argue with a man that tells me to just get live ones [​IMG] thanks for the help got 1 drake cayuga and 4 hens and 1 choc runner with 4 hens coming july 25th [​IMG]

eta- I still have some runner(not chocolate [​IMG] ) and cayuga eggs in the bator so may end up with more [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Now that I have had some experience receiving shipped live chicks and goslings (from Ideal) I think I may just order from Metzer's if I want to increase my number of ducks, some day. Which I may do, as I have too many drakes. I'd go for the sexed ducklings.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    yeah, I just got 4 straight run and 2 pullets fawn/white runners from Ideal....so I'd rather pay the extra for sexing, better than being stuck with so many extra boys....which I am so familiar with [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by