Ordering Eggs? * In The Summer*??????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BirdBoy88, Jun 5, 2008.

1. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Hey [​IMG]

I'm going to be ordering some eggs soon....

I wanted to know is it good to order eggs during the summer?

it's not summer here yet but it sure feels like it.. it's going to be in the 90's this weekend..

i'm not going to order my eggs till sometime next week.....but i just wanted to know when is it the best time to really order eggs? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I don't ship eggs during the Summer because of the heat. Some people may and hopefully they will post their experiences for you.

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:I hope so cuz now i'm getting nervous... :eek:

4. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    Lots of these internet weather sites are giving 10 day forcasts with temps won't be exact but you can see trends and order to coincide with a bit of a drop in temps- may mean waiting a week or two to order and trying to find a seller with the same time frame, but with a bit of leg work you can do it. Good luck. Keystonepaul

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Ive always wondered what a priority box is exposed to during its 2 to 4 day venture. I always worry when I send a box of eggs in extreme temps. In the winter time is it ever exposed to freezing temps, in the summer time is it sitting around in hot trucks, I wish I knew a postal worker I could ask. Anyone here know one or is one?

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I ship my eggs throught the summer, if my girls are still laying.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I'm ordering some this week also but the weather here in WI has been pretty chilly yet. It's 60 today and tomorrow it's suppose to reach 75 which will be the case all week long.

8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Has anyone every put a cold pack in with the eggs? Maybe that would help keep the temps down for the travel?

9. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:that might work although i don't think it's ever been done.... it's not going to cool down here till the middle of next week... i just don't want the eggs to go bad [​IMG] that will be a kill joy.

10. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Any heat above 69 will be destructive [​IMG] on the hatch rate, the embryo is inactive at 69* degrees and below. Above this it becomes active. I wouldnt have eggs shipped nor would I want any. Cool packs and styrofoam cooler may work if you want and just have to have them. I have had cattle vaccines shipped this way from Kansas and the temps were ok. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by