Ordering Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chick1043, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Hi, I don't know if this is in the right place or not. I was thinking on getting fertilized eggs from a website called MyPetChicken.com Has anyone ever done this? And how would that work? I know an egg is only exposed to be out of incubation for max 1/2 hour sooo anyone know how that would work? Thanks.

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    A fertile hatching egg offered for sale hasn't been incubated yet by the seller. It has potential to grow if given the right conditions. Usually you don't want to wait more than a week from the date of lay to set them in an incubator or under a broody. Usually the eggs are collected the night before/day of shipping, packed carefully, and shipped priority mail to you. When you get them, you need to let them settle for 12-24 hours at room temperature, small end down, before popping into the incubator. Shipping can be rough on them, and that settling time can allow aircells to reattach if detached, and the eggs to come to a uniform temperature (since shipping can also expose them to temp extremes).

I'd definitely suggest NOT getting eggs from them, though. Why not support breeders here on BYC? You can actually see pictures of the parent stock and more than likely can find eggs closer to you (theoretically the closer you are, the shorter the shipping time), and you have a larger breed selection. I have bought hatching eggs from several people here and couldn't be happier! I also bought some from eBay, and also had good results too (just do your research on the seller, first!).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

will shipped eggs be okay in this heat wave?[​IMG]

4. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Alright, thanks! Do you suggest anyone?

5. Hi! That depends on what you are looking for.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    So does anyone know/suggest anyone who sells them?

7. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:See the comment below X2
    Hi! That depends on what you are looking for.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa​

8. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:If you look at the index, down by the bottom there is a section for hatching eggs for sale [​IMG]

9. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I'm looking for any breed that isn't aggressive. It doesn't really matter to me.

10. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by