Ordering Eggs?

Silkiehen

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
Pros and cons of ordering eggs from the internet? I have heard that the x-ray kills the chick. Tell me your experiences! Best place to order if I decide?

The closer the location is to you, the better. And be prepared to have a few that don't hatch. A lot of places add an "extra" or two because of this. :)

I had already ordered shipped eggs when I started to realize the complications that can arise. Air cells can become detached, yolks can get scrambled. I think hatch rates are often around 40 to 50 % with shipped eggs though some people have great rates on shipped eggs. Do some searches on here about how to incubate shipped eggs and see if you are up for it. If you can't get certain eggs locally then it might be worth it. If you can get them locally then that is definitely the way to go.

I had already ordered shipped eggs when I started to realize the complications that can arise. Air cells can become detached, yolks can get scrambled. I think hatch rates are often around 40 to 50 % with shipped eggs though some people have great rates on shipped eggs. Do some searches on here about how to incubate shipped eggs and see if you are up for it. If you can't get certain eggs locally then it might be worth it. If you can get them locally then that is definitely the way to go.
Thank you! I can only find barnyard mixes and breeds I am no interested in around here. I don't want to spend a ton of money and only have only a few hatch! Than you for replying!
The closer the location is to you, the better. And be prepared to have a few that don't hatch. A lot of places add an "extra" or two because of this. :)
Ok, thank you!

I order some speckled Sussex eggs from an internet based site that is reputable and well backed. Out of 13 eggs not a single one hatched. Candling showed 2/13 barely developed beyond yolks. The rest looked like scrambled eggs. Used incubator for years to hatch before with no issues. Only thing I can foresee is the shipment ruined them. Good luck to you. Close and local is best

I am thinking i shouldn't order eggs. It would probably be cheaper just to order chicks!

I can't get eggs or chicks of the species I want in my country. . Would anyone be prepared to help me out by acting as a sender on the US side? I'll pay of coursel

Everyone wants to be helpful, but if you can't get eggs shipped from another country legally, smuggling them is not something to consider lightly. People in the US have done jail time for smuggling eggs internationally. In this age of inspecting with X-rays and reading most internet communications, the likelihood of success is much lower than the likelihood of getting caught.

As other posters have mentioned, shipping even short distances in the US often results in no hatched chicks at all, I can't imagine eggs getting to you and still hatching. It wasn't always this way, I've had eggs shipped and got great hatches years ago, but it seems like our postal workers take pride in destroying as much as they can now.

Thanks. I wasn't thinking of doing anything illegal. I just need a sender. Because there is no one currently breeding them here... and in my situation, I would have to risk the postage system or accept I'll never have the chickens I want...

Back
Top Bottom