Ordering Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Silkiehen, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Silkiehen

Silkiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    Pros and cons of ordering eggs from the internet? I have heard that the x-ray kills the chick. Tell me your experiences! Best place to order if I decide?

2. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    The closer the location is to you, the better. And be prepared to have a few that don't hatch. A lot of places add an "extra" or two because of this. :)

3. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    I had already ordered shipped eggs when I started to realize the complications that can arise. Air cells can become detached, yolks can get scrambled. I think hatch rates are often around 40 to 50 % with shipped eggs though some people have great rates on shipped eggs. Do some searches on here about how to incubate shipped eggs and see if you are up for it. If you can't get certain eggs locally then it might be worth it. If you can get them locally then that is definitely the way to go.

4. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    Thank you! I can only find barnyard mixes and breeds I am no interested in around here. I don't want to spend a ton of money and only have only a few hatch! Than you for replying!
    Ok, thank you!

5. MangerSainFarms

MangerSainFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Louisiana
    I order some speckled Sussex eggs from an internet based site that is reputable and well backed. Out of 13 eggs not a single one hatched. Candling showed 2/13 barely developed beyond yolks. The rest looked like scrambled eggs. Used incubator for years to hatch before with no issues. Only thing I can foresee is the shipment ruined them. Good luck to you. Close and local is best

6. Silkiehen

Feb 15, 2014
    I am thinking i shouldn't order eggs. It would probably be cheaper just to order chicks!

7. MangerSainFarms

MangerSainFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Louisiana
    Chicks seem to fair better and it's easier to get reimbursed should something happen to any during shipment.

8. Cracked SA

Cracked SA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    I can't get eggs or chicks of the species I want in my country. . Would anyone be prepared to help me out by acting as a sender on the US side? I'll pay of coursel

9. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Everyone wants to be helpful, but if you can't get eggs shipped from another country legally, smuggling them is not something to consider lightly. People in the US have done jail time for smuggling eggs internationally. In this age of inspecting with X-rays and reading most internet communications, the likelihood of success is much lower than the likelihood of getting caught.

As other posters have mentioned, shipping even short distances in the US often results in no hatched chicks at all, I can't imagine eggs getting to you and still hatching. It wasn't always this way, I've had eggs shipped and got great hatches years ago, but it seems like our postal workers take pride in destroying as much as they can now.

10. Cracked SA

Cracked SA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Durban, South Africa
    Thanks. I wasn't thinking of doing anything illegal. I just need a sender. Because there is no one currently breeding them here... and in my situation, I would have to risk the postage system or accept I'll never have the chickens I want...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by