ordering hatching eggs

chickontherise

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2018
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Greetings everyone, I've been reading and researching several articles on hatching eggs and where to get them. So far, I've only used local breeders and never had any shipped, however, the local breeders don't have EVERY breed I'd like to try. Sooooo I am wondering about hatch rates on shipped eggs, and if anyone has had success. And does it depend on where they are shipped from, and how they are packaged? Sorry, I have sooooo many questions!

Yes, shipped eggs have a much lower hatch rate. It does help if you order eggs close to you, and if the seller packages them really well.
I have had sellers package them really well, and had many hatch, then of course some sellers just threw them in a box, and they came completely crushed.
If you decided on eBay, just look through reviews and see if the feedback is decent on the packaging.
It's not a guarantee, but it sure does help if they package them well.
The big thing with shipped eggs are the aircells.

Greetings everyone, I've been reading and researching several articles on hatching eggs and where to get them. So far, I've only used local breeders and never had any shipped, however, the local breeders don't have EVERY breed I'd like to try. Sooooo I am wondering about hatch rates on shipped eggs, and if anyone has had success. And does it depend on where they are shipped from, and how they are packaged? Sorry, I have sooooo many questions!
I am incubating my 4th go round with shipped eggs. The main thing that I have found that contributed to better success with them is: you MUST allow at least 24 hours for the eggs to sit undisturbed, cool and quiet before incubating them, this allows the aircells to (hopefully) right themselves after being jostled around in shipping. Then I have found that incubating them in a turner that keeps them upright instead of on their sides is helpful again for assisting in keeping the air cell where it should be. That being said, the hatch rate for shipped eggs is much lower than locally sourced so if you can find a breeder in your area, so much the better. I buy eggs from breeders who are no further than 1 state away.

Oh, and have the shipper write in BIG BOLD letters, VERY FRAGILE, HATCHING EGGS, NO XRAY, NO FREEZING. If you live rural and have mail that goes to a central post office before being shuttled out to your local post office, have the sender put your phone number and instructions for the central post office to contact you when they get the box. That way the box does not wait again for shipment to your little post office. This is my situation here. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom