Ordering more chicks

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
My chicks turned out to be mostly cockerels so I want to order some more for the fall and get an order in before they are all gone. My current flock is 9 bielefelder (2 pullets 7 roos) 1 barred rock roo and 5 White rocks (3 pullets 2 roos). So far I really enjoy all 3 of these breeds. I think I'm going to order more bielefelder because so far they are great, but I'm wondering would any of you recommend focusing on getting more barred rock or more white rock? The white rocks that I have are a little more flighty than the rest and the barred rock roo is pretty awesome he's always coming up to me like he wants to be pet.

Honestly I'd probably go all in on more bielefelder, but since they take so more to mature I think I should probably diversify with something else.

Last edited:
My chicks turned out to be mostly cockerels so I want to order some more for the fall and get an order in before they are all gone. My current flock is 9 bielefelder (2 pullets 7 roos) 1 barred rock roo and 5 White rocks (3 pullets 2 roos). So far I really enjoy all 3 of these breeds. I think I'm going to order more bielefelder because so far they are great, but I'm wondering would any of you recommend focusing on getting more barred rock or more white rock? The white rocks that I have are a little more flighty than the rest and the barred rock roo is pretty awesome he's always coming up to me like he wants to be pet.

Honestly I'd probably go all in on more bielefelder, but since they take so more to mature I think I should probably diversify with something else.
are you going to keep all the roos or are you going to give some away and when you order your chicks are you getting a SR or pullets and what hatchery

I've been building my butt off, not all of it is done but it's close enough to start planning ahead. I have enough space in the coops I've been building for 90 birds, and once I'm finished with the tedious part of dividing the barn with fencing I'll have 4 areas to separate chickens into, so I don't NEED to get rid of any.

Ultimately I'd like to have a flock of 50 or so birds. As far as what hatchery I'd order from don't even know I might have to order from more than one because I'm not seeing a whole lot of much aside from males available for any breed. I'm pretty much going to have to order from who ever has anything available.

Back
Top Bottom