Ordering more-Quick! What to get?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heatherma, Feb 24, 2009.

1. heatherma

heatherma New Egg

Feb 22, 2009
    We currently have 2 EE and 2 BO almost 4 months old. I had my heart set on getting some Salmon Favorelles but will not be available for a long while. So maybe some other time.
    We will be getting 2 Black Australorps and 2 Delaware day-old pullets and now I have to pick only One more breed. (For layers only).

My goal here is a variety of colors in my flock since I can only have 10 hens. All are selected for egg laying, temperament, and color of eggs (is that wrong? I just love brown eggs and thought different shades would be fun).

Rhode Island Red (heard they are good layers but don't seem very interesting color-wise)

Welsummer (love the egg color but aren't heavy layers - some think it is just a fad as some of the color can come off)

Golden Laced Wyandotte (Love the bird coloring, eggs seem very light almost white not brown though)

Barred Plymouth Rocks (nice shape and coloring, eggs vary a lot)

Need opinions Please!

2. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i personally dont like wyandottes (JMO)
    rocks come in lots of different colors.. buff, white, barred, ect
    RIR.. they are always a good stand-by,, nice personalities too
    never had a welsummer,,,, but i love my marans

3. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    EE's!!

Then you'd really have a variety of colors!

4. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    here are my BR eggs if it helps

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  5. briznian

briznian Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Davis County, UT
    @sandypaws: Just curious what it is that you don't like about wyandottes? Your opinion would be helpful to me [​IMG]

Thanks!

6. sandypaws

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    #1..personalities.. just bland...
    #2 and all of mine have always been the first ones to turn into egg eaters... i dont know why.. i have 80 chickens, all different breeds ,, why is it always the wyandottes always eat the eggs first??? i have one now SLW i HAVE to keep her beak cut or i will have eggs with all the insides gone.. and i dont want her teaching others..
    just my bad luck i guess:D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  7. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    im the total opposite i just love wyans as they are very nice looking both the gold and silver laced and prolific egg layers the egg color may not be to your liking but they are a good breed, well good luck with what ever you choose

8. heatherma

heatherma New Egg

Feb 22, 2009
    Thanks for the posts so far. I am such a newbie at this and it's already an addiction. This is agonizing having to choose!

A few more opinions please?
    I am leaning towards Barred Plymouth Rocks right now, possibly Golden Buffs. Would love a Maran but have heard their hardiness and temperaments vary a lot...anyone experience this?

I suppose I could wait a few more months to order and get the Salmon Favorelles - they just seem like lovely birds all around. Our current flock being a few months older won't make much difference right?

9. sandypaws

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    if you are new,, get a couple different breeds give yourself time to find your favorite..

i have had chickens my whole life,, i have several "favorite breeds"
    i will never be without a small flock of ameracaunas.. i love my cochins.. i love my banties (several breeds)
    this is my first time owning marans, i really like them too...

10. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    You can't go wrong with 100 Buff Orpington pullets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by