Ordering nipples

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Patoot, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Patoot

Patoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    LOL.

Which kind should I get? Push in or screw in? I honestly don't even know what the difference is btwn those. I know there is FarmTek and QCS. Any preference? How many do I need? I have 4 RIR. Do I put several nipples in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket or something like that?

Thanks for the help.

Bree

2. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    They are the best deal at QC. I ordered from them and they arrived fast, with a free pair of gloves to boot. I would think two would be plenty for four chickens, but I'd get a few extra just in case. I got the screw in kind and put them in schedule 40 pvc pipe that is connected to a five gallon bucket, but if you have space you can put them directly in a hanging bucket. Screw in kind will work for that too. Se arch the forums and you'll find lots of pictures, ideas.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I saw some posted earlier where they put them (3 or 4) around the bottom edge of a 5 gal bucket and then rested the bucket on a concrete block. That's what I'm going to do for my yard waterers. I think they used the push-in ones for that application. Matimeo is right about using the threaded ones for pvc.

4. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    Quote:I saw that too. That's kinda what I was going to go for, but I didn't know which one to get. What IS the difference btwn push in and threaded? I know that's a dumb question, but I really can't figure it out. I mean I assume the push in ones require the chicken to push the "nub" in for the water to come out, but that's just a guess. How do the other ones work?

I was going to hang a 5 gallon (or smaller) bucket and have the nipples hanging off the bottom, but I could use a concrete block or something instead so it doesn't swing around. I think I'm overthinking things...that sounds like me.[​IMG]

I just want them to have clean water without a shavings, poop, and dirt getting into it and having to change it 3 times a day to clean it out. Are the nipples enough to provide for all their water needs? I could have one bucket in the coop and one in the yard...each with at least 2 nipples. Sound good? Now just tell me which ones to order? Screw in or push in. I need direction. I'm a dork. [​IMG]

Bree

5. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi Bree, I have some of the threaded ones left over from my first order and I'll try those in an old bucket first so as to avoid ordering the push-in types (which I think are what you want for that application). The push-in types have a rubber o-ring that seals them and keeps them from dripping, the threaded kinds work on friction to keep from dripping. Other than that, they are functionally identical. So, if my screw-in left-overs don't work, I'll be ordering the push-in types. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG] ordering nipples [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sorry whenever someone posts something about the nipple waterers it brings out the juvenile in me. [​IMG]

7. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It's hard to keep a straight face. [​IMG]

8. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I ordered the push in nipples w/gasket from Farm Tek and use them in both 5 gallon pails and in 2" PVC pipe and have been been more than satisfied with how well they work.

9. Patoot

Aug 20, 2010
    Very mature guys![​IMG][​IMG]

I know, I felt silly writing it.

Okay, I'm going to order some push-in ones then and cross my fingers that I can get it to work.

Thanks.

Bree

10. BackyardGuy

BackyardGuy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    New Iberia
    I was going to use the nipples with the bucket, but iI look at it all and I like the automatic water bowls and my chickens like and took to it right off , I have it hooked up straight to the water line no pressure valve, and I do see the way it is you can have it hooked up to a bucket

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by