Ordering nipples

Patoot

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
LOL.

Which kind should I get? Push in or screw in? I honestly don't even know what the difference is btwn those. I know there is FarmTek and QCS. Any preference? How many do I need? I have 4 RIR. Do I put several nipples in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket or something like that?

Thanks for the help.

Bree

They are the best deal at QC. I ordered from them and they arrived fast, with a free pair of gloves to boot. I would think two would be plenty for four chickens, but I'd get a few extra just in case. I got the screw in kind and put them in schedule 40 pvc pipe that is connected to a five gallon bucket, but if you have space you can put them directly in a hanging bucket. Screw in kind will work for that too. Se arch the forums and you'll find lots of pictures, ideas.

I saw some posted earlier where they put them (3 or 4) around the bottom edge of a 5 gal bucket and then rested the bucket on a concrete block. That's what I'm going to do for my yard waterers. I think they used the push-in ones for that application. Matimeo is right about using the threaded ones for pvc.

Quote:
I saw that too. That's kinda what I was going to go for, but I didn't know which one to get. What IS the difference btwn push in and threaded? I know that's a dumb question, but I really can't figure it out. I mean I assume the push in ones require the chicken to push the "nub" in for the water to come out, but that's just a guess. How do the other ones work?

I was going to hang a 5 gallon (or smaller) bucket and have the nipples hanging off the bottom, but I could use a concrete block or something instead so it doesn't swing around. I think I'm overthinking things...that sounds like me.
tongue.png

I just want them to have clean water without a shavings, poop, and dirt getting into it and having to change it 3 times a day to clean it out. Are the nipples enough to provide for all their water needs? I could have one bucket in the coop and one in the yard...each with at least 2 nipples. Sound good? Now just tell me which ones to order? Screw in or push in. I need direction. I'm a dork.
smile.png

Bree

Hi Bree, I have some of the threaded ones left over from my first order and I'll try those in an old bucket first so as to avoid ordering the push-in types (which I think are what you want for that application). The push-in types have a rubber o-ring that seals them and keeps them from dripping, the threaded kinds work on friction to keep from dripping. Other than that, they are functionally identical. So, if my screw-in left-overs don't work, I'll be ordering the push-in types. Hope that helps.
smile.png

lau.gif
ordering nipples
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

Sorry whenever someone posts something about the nipple waterers it brings out the juvenile in me.
lau.gif

I ordered the push in nipples w/gasket from Farm Tek and use them in both 5 gallon pails and in 2" PVC pipe and have been been more than satisfied with how well they work.

Very mature guys!
tongue.png
lol.png

I know, I felt silly writing it.

Okay, I'm going to order some push-in ones then and cross my fingers that I can get it to work.

Thanks.

Bree

I was going to use the nipples with the bucket, but iI look at it all and I like the automatic water bowls and my chickens like and took to it right off , I have it hooked up straight to the water line no pressure valve, and I do see the way it is you can have it hooked up to a bucket

Back
Top Bottom