Ordering Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by epona4, Feb 6, 2009.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    We will be placing our first order to Meyer soon. We are going to get 5 varieties of chicks. Buckeyes, Sussex, Dominiques, Delaware and Ameraucana.

I was planning on 5 of each. I'd like to get a male of each (except ameraucanas) in case we really like a specific breed. Should I plan on getting 2 males in case one doesn't make it...and if they all made it we could butcher the less desirable roo.

Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    That's a lot of roos! How much property do you have? It's pretty easy to get an extra roo for little or no cost because people generally want the hens.
    [​IMG]

3. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Thats what we did in our order from cackle hatchery, but we only purchased two breeds.

4. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My thought on getting the roos is that if we really enjoy a specific breed, then we could work on keeping that specific breed here. I worry that it will later be harder to find a roo if I want one. (esp. with the buckeyes and Delawares.) And I am not going to want to order another 25 birds just for that.

Another thought was that what roos/breed we decide we're not as crazy about will go to freezer camp.

I'll rethink it and see what I come up with. DH isn't being much help. He's left up to me.

b

5. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Quote:I bought from Myer last year. I got 15 buckeyes and 12 golden laced wyandottes, straight run (2 of the 27 were packing peanuts). Half my buckeyes were roos, all my glws were pullets. I really don't know if that tells you anything since you're only getting 5 each. But I can tell you they have nice birds and the one buckeye roo we kept as a nice guy, too.

6. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    OK...I was looking over the numbers and I think what I will do is not get the Ameraucanas or the Doms. Instead I'll go straight run on the Sussex, Buckeyes and Delawares.

Oddly, if I get 11 straight run of each (total 33) it will be less costly than if I get 8 straight run of each (plus 1 extra) for 25.

Of course I'm sure I'll make up that price for those 8 extra through feeding them.

7. swampducks

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Those extra 8 will probably become your favorites. [​IMG]

I was free ranging mine Saturday (temps hit 51!!) and the chickens were so intent on eating the seed under the bird feeder that I had to pick up and carry the buckeyes back to the coop at night. Even the roo let me pick him up with nary a squawk.

8. swampducks

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Quote:Yup.

Hey epona4!!! I didn't realize who I was conversing with because as mom says I couldn't find my nose on my face.

But DH has a question:

"How did your banties like the Chuck roast?

[​IMG]

9. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:So unfair! You gotta be on TMF and since you know about the "chuck roast" and since your Mich... I'm suspecting 1HF is your DH?? [​IMG] If not, you have to tell me who you are, otherwise I will be beating my head against the wall for the rest of the day! (you're not the only one who has issues with finding her nose. (or at least the glasses sitting on her head or the keys in her pocket!)

The banty girls just loved the roast! The leghorns weren't quite sure what to do with it. The only thing they are sure about is feed. I'm hoping since we have them all together now, the other chickens will teach them about all the great foods out there.

As for the original post, I'm not sure if I updated my decision. Ordered 11 straight run buckeyes, 11 straight run sussex and 3 Welsummer hens. (I really love the look of the dark brown and speckled eggs!) On top of that, I have an order of 4 geese coming in April 1st!! (a pair of American Buff and a pair of Pilgrim) Can't wait!

10. swampducks

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Quote:LOL You got it in one!!!! What I can't believe is I didn't realize who you were the first time I responded to this thread! I guess I didn't think any other Fools could possibly be here!

The only question now is, do you know who I am?

[​IMG]

heh, heh, heh

1HF likes to keep me hidden in the basement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by