Ordering Sexed Bantams from MPC? (Millies)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mom2jedi, Jan 27, 2010.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, I know that ordering sexed silkies isn't worth the gamble for the price but I'm wondering if that's true for the other bantams as well. I really want some Mille Fleur D'Uccles but I don't want any roos. I know it's probably a silly question but I'd seen pictures of Millie chicks on Feathersite and it looks like males and females have different feathering. Is this true and would that make the sexing worth the price?

Any help in making this decision would be greatly appreciated!
    Shauna

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    D'uccles are considerably smaller than silkies, so chances of getting accurate sexing without injuring the bird are even slimmer. Colour differences between genders will not show in mille fleur down. Sorry [​IMG]

3. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks Sonoran, you were the one I was hoping would reply to this question! I should just do the same thing then, order more chicks to increase my chances of getting a pullet? I'm hoping if I order 3 or 4 silkies and a couple d'uccles I'll end up with at least one pullet each. Thanks again for the info about the down!

Shauna

4. mom2jedi

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:Just read your signature, do you ever ship your birds when you have them available? I was hoping to start a silkie from a chick but maybe it's better to get one I know is a hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by