Ordering some ducklings from Holderreads and hope its not too late

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eroc1_1, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Just mailed in an order to Holderreads for some ducklings to ship in June and I hope that I am not too late. Hopefully we will get: 4 Dutch Hookbills, 4 Saxony, 2 Welsh Harlequin, 2 Cayuga, and 4 Magpies. So, if we get these, we will be at 24 ducks. Considering we started with 6 at the beginning of March....I can see how duck math works.

2. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I just got my order from them last Thursday and mailed the order in January! You can always call them to check and see, they are great with email communication too. I ordered 8 Silver Appleyards and 7 Saxony. They sent me 8 of each but I lost one Saxony so it all evened out in the end.

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Just email them and you will find out! [​IMG]
    They always have surplus ducklings and goslings because they grow out thousands of ducklings and goslings every year.

4. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I called AFTER I put everything in the mail. The lady that answered the phone was super nice and said that the amounts I requested may vary a little, but it should still work out.

5. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    I did reserve mine per email prior to sending in a check. They hold your reservation for about 5 days while awaiting your check.

6. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I sent in an order a week or so ago also! maybe we will be ship buddies [​IMG] I am waiting on 15 ducklings from sandhill and 12 from holderread. I started with 11 ducklings from Metzer's then added 4 more ducklings and 2 goslings, then 2 cayugas and 2 snowy mallards from Ideal. gonna be up to my ears in ducks lol!

7. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I hear you on that! We really love the ducks we have now and can't wait to add some more 'color' when the other ones arrive - We like variety. What goslings did you get? I really waffled on getting some goslings as well but we figured that maybe next year would be better. Right now I gotta worry about getting another shed/duck house built or bought.

After reading a little more, I hope we didn't make a mistake with Magpie ducks because they may be a little more high strung and the males maybe overly amorous. We can deal with that portion later.

8. rainy day ducks

rainy day ducks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Southeast Alaska
    I absolutely love Holderreads! Their family is so nice. I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting them while in the area for work. They have also been extremly nice and helpful on the phone and through emails. Last year I ordered ducklings less than two weeks before their last hatch and they were very accomodating on the phone. They reserved the ducklings for me while waiting for the check in the mail.

I ordered Silver Appleyards and Cayugas from them last year. I just received my order of 17 ducklings and 2 goslings yesterday! I put my order in November. I now have added Saxonies, Dutch Hookbills, Welsh Harlequins, more Silver Appleyards, and a pair of American Blue geese to my flock. All the duckling/goslings I have ever received from Holderreads have been in great health.

I love the Silver Appleyards. They have layed everyday since the beginning of the year! The Cayugas didn't start laying until about a month or two after. When comparing the two, I like the Silver Appleyards best. They are more friendly and are right at my feet greeting me. The Cayugas are a little more distant but will still eat out of my hand with the Appleyards.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  9. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:CRAP! Now you're talking me into Silver Appleyards next year! Oh the insanity!

10. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:I hear you on that! We really love the ducks we have now and can't wait to add some more 'color' when the other ones arrive - We like variety. What goslings did you get? I really waffled on getting some goslings as well but we figured that maybe next year would be better. Right now I gotta worry about getting another shed/duck house built or bought.

After reading a little more, I hope we didn't make a mistake with Magpie ducks because they may be a little more high strung and the males maybe overly amorous. We can deal with that portion later.

I wanted pilgrims but they were sold out so i got embden. they have been great! they are so funny to watch, they are very clumbsy and look like lil fat airplanes trying to take off when they go running after the ducks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by