1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ordering straight run vs. cockerels

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gritsar, Nov 24, 2007.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I hope this is the right forum category for this question [​IMG]
    I have finally made up my mind...it will definitely be brahmas and I know I definitely want a roo. Now should I take a chance that I will get a roo (but not all roos) by ordering straight run or should I order just pullets and a roo seperately?
    Also, if I am going to get a variety of brahmas, light, dark, and buff and only get one rooster, does it make make a difference which he is? I don't plan on letting them brood; gonna steal their eggs daily.
    Thanks y'all for answering my endless questions. [​IMG] I am a tad bit obsessive/compulsive and I just want to do this right.

2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    YOu would be better off ordering pullets and 1 roo. Depending on how many you are getting there would be a chance that you might get 1 mor roo, they are not 100% accurate at sexing. Usually you can expect to get a 50 50 percent of males and females. Good luck, Jenn

3. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    you should just get pullets and cockerels seperately. it doesnt really matter what color he is, the offspring will still be brahmas.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, sexing is only 90% accurate, but since you want a roo, if you only order pullets, you will get 100% girls.[​IMG] It's just how it goes. I would order a boy.

5. Tony O

Tony O Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Here's a switch.
    I ordered 200 roo chicks last spring to raise for neighbors.
    I wound up with 14 pullets. [​IMG]

6. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Out of my 6 straight run silkies, 5 were roos. Had to get rid of 4. Order pullets and 1 roo, then you know what you're getting.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Not bad, just a 7% error in sexing. That means 7% of the girls are boys! Yeah, I have bad luck with straight run too... WHAT 7 boys one girl!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by