Ordering this late in the yr from Ideal..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by havi, Aug 30, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I want to order a few Brahma bantams from Ideal. But right now all they are selling is st. run. I was wondering what the odds would be that I would get a least two hens? I want to order 4 maybe 5 chicks. I didnt know with it kinda being late in the year if they would have more males or what..?

What are your thoughts on this?

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I'd guess it's the luck of the draw no matter what time of year you ordered.

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Ideal does not sell sexed bantams so it does not matter what time of the year you buy them. I ordered 5 modern game bantams from them and I got 5 roosters so it can happen.

4. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, it's definitely the luck of the draw. I had ordered pullets from them earlier this summer, and they sent me a straight run instead. So far out of 9 chickens, I have at least 4-5 roos (there's one that's iffy). HTH

Sonja

5. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    I ordered 10 and got 4 roosters.

6. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I ordered my chicks just a month ago. I think it was easier than the ones I got in early spring. Much easier to keep them warm, and they got to go out in the coop earlier.

7. ttrjpbcz

ttrjpbcz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    PA
    ok, learning as I go...

I ordered my first mail chickens from Ideal due to arrive the 17th, and it never crossed my mind I wouldn't get what I ordered.
    I ordered mostly pullets and a few roos, but if i am reading correctly, even if you DONT order strait run, you can still end up with all roos?

8. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    It may be just Bantams that are straight run only--and they clearly say straight run only on the listing and when you talk to them on the phone, so if you specifically asked for a ratio of pullets vs roos, I'm sure they'll honor your order. At the same time, remember that even if they sex the chickens, it's always possible they may make a mistake with one or two birds--they are hard to sex when they are so tiny. And expect some packing peanut boys on such a small order unless you paid the fee to forgo them.

I ordered silkies and cochins to arrive around the 12th, and I'm very, very excited. I really hope the numbers come out somewhere close to half and half (more pullets would be better, of course, but I'm not about to hold my breath)--which is hard to do with such a small number (8 white frizzled cochins, 8 white silkies, and 9 BBS silkies--listed as Blue, of course, but you know how that works). I also just hatched a cochin this week (only one out of 34 eggs I started in the bator, thus the order of chicks), he looks black to me, but I've never had them before, so what do I know, he could be blue. I'm hoping for a frizzle!

9. ttrjpbcz

ttrjpbcz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    PA
    they have frizzles? Oh Lord!! I am changing my order now if it isn't too late!!

My husband is going to freaking kill me!!![​IMG]

10. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by