Ordering trees on line

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by lazy gardener, Apr 19, 2017.

1. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What's your favorite Mail Order company for ordering trees/shrubs? Who have you used that has good stock with good livability. I need to use a northern company to get stock that will do well in my climate. I have a hole in my orchard that needs to be plugged with a peach tree. Also want to order one or more Juneberry shrubs.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Stark Bros have been around forever. I ordered a bunch of fruit and nut trees, probably more than 20, from them when I moved here. A year later they called to ask how they’d done and sent a replacement for one that did not make it. No charge.

I’ve called a couple of times to ask questions about what I had. A grafted English Walnut died and came back from the roots. I asked what the root stock was. It was a Black Walnut. I’m OK with a Black Walnut there, the juglone won’t be a problem.

Overall I’ve been happy with the quality, shipping, and customer service. I haven’t tried anyone else though.

3. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    TY

4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Any one else with experience ordering fruit trees? What company did you use, and what was the quality of the trees, and the outcome a year or two later?????

5. annagoodspeed

annagoodspeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2017
    Central Idaho 3000 ft
    I am on the other side of the country, I use Raintree for most so far.
    You could check out Fedco, they have a tree section, they are in Maine. I use them for most seeds.
    If you google around for specific varieties you would like you might find sources that way. There is a site called Orange Pippin that is a database of apple varieties, can't remember if they have nurseries listed too.
    I just found a nursery in Michigan, Southmeadow Fruit Gardens, Michale Pollan mentioned them someplace, haven't ordered, but their selection is amazing of old and rare apples.
    Things like Juneberry are hardy even purchased from a warmer climate. Raintree has some I think. I am in zone 5 and have not had trouble with their stock unless it is a borderline hardy species anyway.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  6. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Thanks Anna. We actually went to the Fedco Tree sale a couple of weeks ago. It was awesome. The trees were lined up in huge windrows of sawdust in a huge warehouse. There were hundreds of people running around, yanking the bare root trees out of the sawdust. I came home with 2 Cornelian Cherry trees, 2 Lingonberries, 1 Cranberry that has been separated into 4 plantings, a gallon of Wine Cap mushroom spawn. I went for June Berries, but they were all sold out. I think I'll wait and order some next year.

7. annagoodspeed

annagoodspeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2017
    Central Idaho 3000 ft
    Awesome! I love their seeds.
    Here we call juneberry serviceberry, There's a lot of it near the creeks.

8. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    I agree with Ridgerunner; Stark Bros. is great! I had 2 cherry trees that survived only a few months after planting and they offered me a refund or free replacement. All the other trees (4 apple and 4 peach) are in their second year and doing great.

9. Hickory Creek

Hickory Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2017
    I got great trees from grandpas Orchard big and great price from their sale.

10. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm going to be watching this thread cause eventually I'd like some fruit trees and there's some good suggestions for places to get them here. I don't think I will get them anytime soon though as they take a few years to produce fruit? And I might move before then. Unless the new owners appreciate fruit trees :lau

And do they require pruning and another tree for pollination? I think one of the sites said that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by