Ordinances up for review 2/26 in Angleton, Texas. Please help me change their minds.

fernfam

Hatching
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Hello,

My name is Elizabeth and I live with my husband and 3 children in Angleton, Texas. We moved from a metropolitan city that allowed backyard chickens to a rural town that banned them in the residential areas. :-(. I don't quite understand how a rural town would ban rural-type creatures but I digress. On February 26, there will be a meeting to propose new ordinances or to change existing ones. How do I go about gathering support? I thought about advertising the cause at the libraries but my concern is that people who don't want the chickens may show up to the meeting as well.

Are there any pamphlets that I can print off to educate people on the benefits of farm animals, chickens included?

Should I make a list of compromises to address any concerns people may have or is this first meeting just to propose a change in the ordinance? Compromises like the kinds of chickens, #'s allowed, no roosters, etc?

I also thought about maybe starting a backyard homestead group for Brazoria county to help get like-minded people together.

Honestly, I don't know anything about raising chickens as I've never had the chance to have them. I feel like I'd go in there and the people will know I don't know what I'm talking about. Do I need to be an expert to get my voice heard?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated,

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth:

I am looking to buy a house on an acre in Manvel, TX. I would like to do the same thing once I move.

In Galveston for example, we recently attended the "Chicken Shack Strut," in which we were allowed to
tour the various homes in the City that have Chickens. Each house can have up to 6 chickens and no
roosters.

That would be a good place for you to start your research on how they got their ordinance changed.
I hope to move soon, so once I do I would love to sit down with you and chat!

Thanks,
Maria

Back
Top Bottom