Oregano good for chickens?

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by shannon84, Sep 25, 2016.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    Do you put it in their water and how much? Is it good for them?? Thanks!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I don't know one way or the other if it's good for them. My chickens are forever in my herb bed and as far as I can tell they don't touch it. :confused:

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Oregano is wonderful for chickens!!! I put oregano essential oil in my chickens water alot! I usually put it in at a ratio of 2 drops to a gallon of water.

4. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    Thank you for the question! There are a few ways to feed oregano to chickens.

1. If you are just giving them leaves, then you could just set the leaves around the coop and run and let the birds decide how much they want to eat.
    2. You could also place a plant near their run or in their free-range area and allow them to eat what they want.
    3. You could make some tea with the leaves and then provide that as their drinking water for a few hours a day. Just be sure that the water has cooled before providing it to the hens. Nobody likes burning their tongue on hot tea.

5. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    oh awesome, thank you so much! Ok I was wondering about that bc I heard it's like a natural antibiotic, and I'm all into the natural stuff [​IMG] it's probably going to be hard to get them to eat it [​IMG] they are spoiled with goodies. I may have to do the tea truck! Thanks so much for your response [​IMG][​IMG]

6. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm so glad I asked about this I knew I would get great info [​IMG] thank you for your response! Where do you get your oil?

7. shannon84

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I don't see mine eating it either [​IMG] I'll have to put the oil in their water I bet [​IMG]

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    I get my essential oil from a company called doTERRA (latin for gift of the earth). I feel like brands you would typically buy at the health food store will not do any good. The oil I get is a bit expensive, but it is the best quality you can get, and when you are a wholesale member, it is not a bad deal. Wholesale: $24.00 Retail: $32.00. Msg me if you would like to know more. I promise I am not trying to push anything on you though.:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by