Oregano oil and pests

heronz

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Oregano oil seems to kill ticks pretty quickly but is it safe for chickens and safe for the ground?
Would it be safe to eat the eggs from chickens you use it on?

I have been snooping on the internet and find that people use it for coccidiosis-and as an antibiotic for chickens.

Oregano is an AWESOME "home remedy" for all sorts of stuff. It's totally safe for chickens and humans. It's OREGANO...think....PIZZA.

Grow some in your run or get essential oil of Oregano and put a drop or two in your waterer. We use DoTerra therapeutic grade Oregano Essential Oil and it's VERY potent. I'm using two drops per four cups of water.

We have a chick who might have "caught a draft" and he's been laying on his side and stumbling around. So, yesterday I thought "OH, OREGANO!" and started treating the water. All the chicks sprinted over to have some and had multiple drinks of it right away. The chick is still a touch lethargic but doesn't look like he'll meet any sort of untimely demise.

Carvacrol is the active ingredient. I believe it's also found in Thyme...or that might be called "Thymol", but is supposed to be therapeutic, too.

My $0.02.

I agree, oregano, thyme, mint, and lavender are great herbs to grow specifically for your chickens. I bought the oil for sick chickens but I am growing my own herbs for them and me! I use the herbs for myself to keep me healthy!

I must say, my chicks are all loving the Oregano infused water and the one chick who "wasn't lookin' so good" is now looking MUCH BETTER!

"Home remedies" over drugs ANY DAY!

Back
Top Bottom