Oregano oil for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CMYates, Dec 29, 2012.

1. CMYates

CMYates Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. ChickenWaterer

ChickenWaterer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    Palo Alto, CA
    There is interest in using oregano oil as a substitute for antibiotics. Bayer Healthcare did some trials and they appear promising but the jury is still out on this one. Here's an article from the NY TImes.

http://nyti.ms/ZytIi6

1 person likes this.
  3. MamaHenSD

MamaHenSD Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I'm really interested in trying this--how can we buy it? I don't see a buy link on the ropapharm website and am thinking about picking some up at our organic food store.

4. CMYates

Nov 29, 2012
    Maybe a feed store could order it.

5. CMYates

Nov 29, 2012
  6. VintageLilFarm

VintageLilFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    The Great Northwest
    Does it have to be specifically for poultry? I use oregano oil myself, so was just thinking of adding some to their food or water if the need arises.

1 person likes this.
  7. CMYates

Nov 29, 2012
    I don't think, from what I've read (admittedly there is not much out there), that it has to be for poultry. It just has to be food grade. The problem is that to make much difference the quantity required would be prohibitively expensive if the products available for human use were used.

8. VintageLilFarm

VintageLilFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    The Great Northwest
    I don't know ... it is very strong stuff. I would not use very much, as I don't with humans either. I'd probably isolate a sick or potentially sick bird, and put a couple drops in a quarter cup of water, leaving no other source for drinking. If one were to use it proactively in a large flock, it would indeed by expensive!

9. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

You can get it from most Pigeon Supply stores like foys.com or jedds.com alot cheaper than any health food store. Pigeon Fanciers swear by it.

10. JesnJer

JesnJer Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2012
    Missouri
    I usually use silver for our birds, I add it to their water from time to time but now I want to try adding a lil oregano oil to their next batch of oatmeal. It tastes pretty nasty so i don't think they would appreciate it being added to their water! Can't imagine it will hurt them any!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by