Oregon Coast - Florence Oregon Ordinances for Chickens

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Dukeofhawg, Feb 21, 2012.

1. I looked for a long time trying to google the answer to whether or not we could have a few chickens in Florence. I am putting this up for anyone in Florence, Oregon who wonders if it is ok to have some chickens in the city. Here is the response I received from one of the city managers:

Good afternoon Dennis,

There isn't a limit on the number of chickens you can have within City limits. Roosters (male chickens), however, are prohibited. If the City or Police received a complaint about the chickens (re noise, too many, attracting bears, etc.), city Code Enforcement could check to make sure the chickens have adequate space or an appropriate structure. We would have to receive a complaint for that to happen though.

Shawn Penrod
    Executive Assistant
    City Manager's Office
    City of Florence
    250 Hwy 101

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    My sister lives there not in town but grew up there and there is usually not an issue with having chickens in town but... they have a lot of bears there and they will go after chickens in no time.

3. We're fenced in so bears are too much of a problem. Racoons are though.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tammy N

Tammy N Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    Florence Oregon
    Thank you been looking for 12 yrs i live on munsel lake rd

can you email me sheltieslave at yahoo dot com

i have a few questions if you have time thanks Tammy

5. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    They still have the fly catcher plants there? Cannot remember what they call them (Darlingtonia?) but they were near where 101 and munsel lake rd meet.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  6. Hi Chickened, yes they still have those plants... they are cool and creepy all at the same time... :) Kinda like people who like chickens [​IMG]

7. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    There is a wild tea plant that grows along that road as well. My grandmother called it Indian Tea but I think it was a Scandinavian tea name. I picked some about 10 years ago and it was actually good. Labrador tea.

8. GardenerGal

GardenerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Massachusetts
  9. chickened

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I would help my grandma pick tea leaves, wild evergreen huckleberries and the wierd one was rose petals that she would make perfume out of.

10. That's cool. Next time I am out for a walk I am going to look for this tea leaf....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by