Oregon Fall Poultry Swap! 9/25/10 11am **all details on first post!*

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
The location for the Fall Swap this year is Pass Creek Park - Douglas County/Cottage Grove, I-5 at the Curtin exit. (from the Corvallis area, it took me 1 hour and 15 mins to get to the location) The swap will start at 11am and end at ???

Feel free to bring a potluck item to share - nice but not required
smile.png
(just about anything goes - we love food!)

Please make sure your birds are in cages and please remember to practice biosecurity at the swap and with any birds you take home.

Cash is acceptable for transactions
big_smile.png

Want/Have lists are being updated every 4 pages, latest one (as of 9/18) on page #57 and should be updated about every 4 pages (or as needed) this week. Lots of people show up with poultry or to purchase poultry who do not follow this thread (Craigslist ads and flyers) so there is a good possibility more birds and buyers will be available than listed.

Silkiechicken will be our BYC moderator representative and will be raffling off BYC goodies!
yippiechickie.gif

There will be a sign in sheet at central location and name tags available. Hope to see you there!!!

Yep, I know it's a bit early but I thought I'd get the ball rolling so everyone can start planning on what they want to bring to our next swap! And as we all know, the summer usually flies by, unfortunately.

The Spring Swap in April was a huge success and I think everyone really enjoyed it. We brought in some new people not only to the forum but to our swaps via Craigslist and word of mouth. As nice as Timber Linn Park is for convenience and location, I think it is time we possibly start looking at a different venue that will allow us to keep growing and hopefully be more organized. While we were not hassled last month at Timber Linn and I haven't been able to find any ordinances against what we were doing, the Albany police did keep vigil all day. I, for one, would really hate to have deal with having one of our swaps broken up due to police or other outside sources. I am going to contact the City of Albany regarding the use of their park parking lots for my own information, but I am also going to actively pursue renting part of the Benton County Fairgrounds in Corvallis for our Fall Swap. While I would love to be able to rent the indoor arena so weather would not be a factor, the $460 rental cost is a little prohibitive right now. However, they do rent out lawns and parking lots so this is the route I am thinking of going. Example: I can rent the auditorium parking lot for $155 a day plus a refundable $50 deposit. Renting a section of grass near a parking area (probably the camping area side) is $110 plus a refundable $50 deposit.

Don't worry, I am not going to be asking for donations to help offset this cost since this is completely my idea, but if you'd like to donate, I won't say no
big_smile.png
I just personally think this is the direction we need to take our swaps if we want to grow. Bigger swaps are better for everyone. We might even be able to get some local feed stores or other farm businesses involved in some way. The possibilities are endless.

So, my mission over the summer is to get our next swap set, legal and very organized and maybe even some community sponsorship. Any and all ideas, advice, help, etc will be welcomed and greatly appreciated! I look forward to seeing everyone again!!

Last edited:
I didn't notice the Albany Police where was he/she/them at?

Benton County Fairgrounds is very handy for a couple of us but it is so far from I-5 that I don't think it is practical.

Did you inquire with Linn County Fairgrounds? They have the huge parking lot just North of Timber Linn Park. They also rent out their rabbit and poultry building, I've been to many rabbit shows in there. However, I would guess that would be too expensive as it is a nice, newer metal building with cement floors.

Coastal Farm Store is just South of Timber Linn Park and has a pretty large parking lot which is rarely more than 1/3 full. They also have parking on the West side of the building which is just about never used. There might be some red tape with them as they are a chain store. However, they do sell a lot of chicken related stuff so they might be glad to add to their exposure.

Just across the freeway is K-Mart. They have a very big parking lot which I've never seen even 10% full. There is a couple of hundred spaces on the west side of the building where I have never seen anything but big rigs parking for the night. The manager there also seems to have a lot of leeway on what he is allowed to do.

We can discuss a Willamette Valley Hatchery sponsorship when the date is a little closer.

The police were driving by all day long starting when I was first there setting up. They were watching us like I was watching them lol.

I agree with you that it is not completely practical for everyone but it is a starting point and shouldn't be overlooked. I wish I had a farm or property so I could host it there. Those seem like a lot of fun.

The Linn County fairgrounds are completely out of the question due to cost. They are still trying to pay for all their new facilities
smile.png
I will check out Coastal but I do think it would be too much red tape as would Kmart or any other store parking lots. I am also looking in Salem and I will be going to the City of Albany to talk to them about Timber Linn and other ideas too.

My main goals are to make sure we are legal in what we are doing, have enough space to grow while making it as easy as possible for everyone who wants to attend to attend, forum members and area community members.

Last edited:
I scanned up and down I-5 for other likely spots:

Woodburn Drag Strip

Keizer Volcano Stadium parking lot (often rented out)

Home Depot's parking lot off of the Hwy 22 exit

The park-n-ride lot in front of the gas station at the Turner exit

The old location of Thrillville USA (pretty sure that land is owned by the RV park next to the Enchanted Forest)

McKay Truck & RV center off of the South Jefferson exit

Palm Harbor homes parking lot

The Original Breakfast's parking lot

Things to think about:

People bringing chicks will want to keep them in their vehicle for warmth and a little bio-security

If this is an "organized event" then restroom facilities are required and event insurance is pretty much a must

Porta-potties runabout $150 so figure that in when you are evaluating sites

Some places will be able to add a rider to their insurance which will be much cheaper than taking out a one time policy

It's a little farther north, but there's a really nice park here in Canby, not TOO far off I-5, it has flush toilets, BBQ pits, picnic tables, a pond, and a river, and LOTS of grassy area...I can look into it if you want...

Ohhh I would love it to be in Corvallis! I love those fairgrounds!

I will go wherever you guys say but this is FUN!

I will see you all there!

Tsa

Quote:
Thank you for all that great information! I will certainly look into all those things and ask about them when I inquire at the different places. Thank you!

I'm thinking we probably need to stay away from all the company parking lots. I really don't know the restrictions/laws on those. The same for park and rides. Does anyone know? I will look into the other spots for sure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom