Oregonians when are you sticking the chicks outside???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OCChicken, May 4, 2009.

1. OCChicken

OCChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    I have 5, 3 week olds and 1, 4 week old that are getting a little large for the brooder, i'd like to give them a little more space. It has been cool lately 60 deg. high, 40 deg low and plenty of good ol' spring rain is this OK, or should I give them a couple more weeks?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in AL but at 3 wks I take the light away and 4 wks there outside on there own. I keep bantams inside a little longer though.

3. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm in Vancouver, WA right across the river from Oregon, and I put mine out in the coop at 2 weeks old in February, but I gave them heat lamps. The rule is that by about 8 weeks, they are generally fully feathered and can handle down to about 30 degrees without heat. With our current weather, I would say that you can definitely put them outside, and they will love it, but if you can provide them with a little heat at least at night for another 2-3 weeks, or until the temps are in the 50s at night, I think it would be the safest bet.

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Mine are 2 wk old teeny banties so they have at least another 2 wks in the brooder. Plus I am, hopefulyl, getting another shipment next week of more teenies, so probably June before mine are out in their new coop.

[​IMG]

5. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I put mine out at 7 weeks last week. No light but they are in a old rabbit hutch with only floor and one side in wire...the rest is closed in by plywood. Oh and a roof! lol

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Our 8-week-olds have been in the coop for a week now, no heat. Temps are in the 40s at night. They're all happy & healthy. Last night was the first they spent on the roost with the big girls, though they were separated & protected from the adults by a mesh barrier.

7. OCChicken

OCChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    I noticed many of you have adult hens too, does this make a difference? I only have the chicks, so they only have themselves and a light to keep warm.

8. Brelansmama

Brelansmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    I am in the Willamette Valley, ans I put my flock of 5 pullets, 6 weeks old, in their coop 5 days ago, with the heat lamp on at night.They are THRILLED to be outside! It's too cute to see them running & flapping and frolicking!

9. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I'm in Olympia, WA with the same temps as you. I put my ten out in the coop at age 6 wks with the heat lamp on. I left them in the coop for 2 wks and then let them out in the run. (If you leave them in for a week or so, they will then learn to put themselves to bed in the coop when it gets dark.

I still turned on the heat lamp last week because we had night time temps in the 30's. (Make sure you double secure your lamps so if the clamp gives, the lamp won't fall and cause a fire).

Good luck with your babies. We all LOVE to see pics of others chicks.

10. farmgirljen

farmgirljen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Corvallis Oregon
    My 5 week old barred rocks are in their own pen in the big coop- no heat lamps- they have been out there for a week. I put lots of shavings down, and I put some oat hay in a corner so they could burro in if they wanted... editingto ad- I am in Corvallis OR...

Last edited: May 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by