Oreo attacked by hawk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hugteri, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Hugteri

Hugteri New Egg

Jun 26, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Found her outside on the ground it was a small hawk. My rooster was attacking it. I sent my daughter to grab Oreo. It seems the only thing the hawk got was her comb. Cleaned the site put neosporin on it. I checked the rest of her an I don't think it had time to do much damage because the rooster started to attack it. Her sinuses are still intact she's breathing fine not threw her mouth. Is eating drinking pooping. Anybody ever have anything similar in injury?

2. Your little Oreo should be fine if you keep it clean and keep putting neosporine on it.BUT keep her inside till it heals, otherwise the other hens will draw even more blood and you can't put Blue Kote on that area cause of her eyes.

1 person likes this.
  3. Venevee

Venevee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    Hello,
    I've have a hen attacked by a hawk last year, but she didn't make it. I've never had a chicken attacked by one and survived, but it looks like your hen will be okay. Just make sure her comb doesn't get infected and keep applying Hydrogen-peroxide or neosporin.

1 person likes this.
  4. BTW I don't have a rooster and my Pullet got attacked by a hawk and survived with only some missing feathers.

1 person likes this.
  5. How is Orea doing now,Teri?

1 person likes this.
  6. Hugteri

Hugteri New Egg

Jun 26, 2015
    as of today Oreo acts like nothing happened. Ill post a new pic tomorrow. Right now she's in my house in a medium dog crate with all the spoiling my family can give her. One thing I did do the day of the attack. when I knew she would have to be in I grabbed her egg an my other polish Diva's egg. I Gave Oreo some hay from the co-op an the two eggs an she thinks she's in to have chicks. She's eating drinking an acting like nothing happened.

7. Hugteri

Hugteri New Egg

Jun 26, 2015
    [​IMG]

Updated photo of Oreo. The site looks a lot better today then the day she was attacked. There is a space where her comb was, but that's to be expected. But as you can see she's looking pretty good. I'm lucky her nostrils were not damaged.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by