Organic 3 week old RIR's price???

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by LovinMyPeeps, Mar 31, 2009.

1. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I have 16 RIR packing peanuts that I am running out of room for and was thinking of posting them on craigs list in VT. Thing is I don't know how much they are worth? I have raised them all organic and they are very healthy almost 3 week olds that are feathering out nicely. I want them to go together... so anyone have any ideas??

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    If they were packing peanuts then they are probably all roosters and probably production reds instead of true RIRs. I would say $3 each or $35 for all. If I may ask where did they come from?

3. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    They're from Ideal and I'm pretty sure they aren't production reds, only based on the feather out and their markings, though I could be wrong. I'm certainly no expert at this. [​IMG] Yes I figure they're all roos which is why I am trying to give them up. I live in town and can't have roosters...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Hi, I'd really guess that they are productions if they are from Id.. - ---- but who knows. Down here I'd probably sell these at about $1.60 a rooster in volume because they are not breeding size or eating size (excuse me if I offend anyone that way).

But also you may want to post that the price is negotiable, depending on how much you need your pens.

Well, good luck and let us know how it goes. Have a blessed day.

5. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Let be plead stupid here but what are "productions"? I have RIR but i'm new to chickens I have 4 roos and 2 hens about 12 weeks and 3 strainghe run and 7 pullets about 2 weeks old. Also what is a good ago to eat the roos if I need to thin the flock and can't sell them?

6. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:Production reds are chickens bred from RIRs to have REALLY high egg production as I understand it. They are generally not good dual purpose birds as they are a little smaller than true RIRs. I do not process my birds so I cant tell you what is the appropriate age to butcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by