1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by purpletree23, Aug 31, 2009.

1. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I understand how apple cider vinegar plays an important part in chicken health but why ORGANIC apple cider vinegar?

Thanks everyone in advance

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The raw vinegar has "the mother" in it. The mother is what contains the beneficial bacteria.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Thank you wifezilla. That answers my question.

Problem is that I laughed so hard at the wifezilla I now have to tell my husband and he will definately call me the that. Like most women I cook, clean, shop (groceries) have large vegetable garden, flower garden, freeze, can, work full time, rototill, plow snow, mow the lawn, stack wood and clean the barn.

I am feminine and gentle BUT make me mad and I'll swear like a sailor and make someone wish they had never crossed me.

LOL:lol:

4. Garin

Garin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    loudoun co., va
    Question about the ACV. New to poultry so still learning... Why use ACV? Is this used as a supplement in the water? If yes, how much per bird. Also, I make my own Red Wine Vinegar. Can that be used?

Thanks

5. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I am 6' tall and grew up as an only girl in a neighborhood filled with boys. Gentle? What's that?
    [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Garin, it works as a general tonic. I have used it on birds that appeared listless and were sitting all ruffled up despite it being a warm day. About 1 tbsp in the drinking water (a gallon or so) and by the next day, the ducks were fine.

It appears to aid mineral absorption. Not sure what other benefits, but the ducks do respond.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  7. JoeP

JoeP Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Eastern Massachusetts
    ACV is great to use in the water. It is good for there stomach.
    I switch back and forth, ACV one day a week, and garlic in the
    water the next week for one day. The girls are happy and
    healthy.

8. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Quote:From what I've read, it also aids digestion, kills harmful organisms, and provides helpful ones. It's good stuff, no doubt about it. Just don't put it in a metal waterer, like the galvanized ones.

BTW, I love your name, and your avatar! I haven't told my DH about it, because I'm sure I'd become Wifezilla, too! He already says I scare people. (Only people who act like idiots and irritate me beyond tolerance. My BS threshold is a lot lower than it used to be!)

9. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My BS threshold is a lot lower than it used to be!

It gets lower the older you get! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by