Organic Approaches to Getting Feces Less Messy

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by centrarchid, Feb 6, 2019.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    We are looking into doing something benefit backyard poultry keepers, especially those using organic approaches. I have an idea that could result in feces that is easier to "harvest" from flat surfaces like below roost. Anyone here use the feces for gardening / composting? A particular fiber source I think makes for better feces, but do not know what is the range of amounts that provides benefits with causing troubles. Most interest here is in meat birds (Cornish cross) but I could likely swing some effort towards "free-range" laying hens.

I also have access to biochar, but do not know if it can be classified as organic.

Melky likes this.
  2. Trish1974

Trish1974 Araucana enthusiast

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    My Coop
    Yes, I compost my chicken poop for gardening. I prefer horse manure, though. It seemed to have more nutritional value but on the down side it always made for a weedy garden.

Melky and Ducksandchickens like this.
  3. Acre4Me

Acre4Me Crowing

Nov 12, 2017
    Western Ohio
    Are you going to be doing a study to see what works best or do you already know?

We raised 12 meat birds last year, and they certainly poop A LOT!

Melky likes this.
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I do not know what works best. I have not even tried approach that might with with meat birds, unless you count my heritage birds that take 12 weeks to mature and operate much more free-range that Cornish cross can do.

Melky and Acre4Me like this.
  5. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It is a given we will be trying to round up locally available organic feed stuffs. I hope to mill feeds ourselves to give students some experience with that process. Most milling to date has been for fish feed which is not widely practiced in the Midwest. Going to be converting some tree-huggers!

Melky likes this.
  6. Melky

Melky Can’t wait for Spring!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I compost to garden from two compost bins. I do not have weed problems and do not spray for weeds since organic. I just throw it in in the fall to winter over in the garden for next season.

Trish1974 likes this.
  7. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    An idea bouncing in my head has feed mixture adjusted so as to impact soil density, IEC and organic content of compost. We have done similar before without impacting performance on fish but had no way to test material in a practical setting.

Melky likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: