Organic bags of dust

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by betsyjmp, Nov 12, 2014.

1. betsyjmp

betsyjmp New Egg

Nov 12, 2014
    Feeding my hens organic feed but since it's not in crumble form, it seems like I'm spending $35 on a bag of dust that mostly ends up under the hanging feeder. Seems like a waste. Any thoughts?

2. nikicolorado

nikicolorado Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2014
    Colorado
    Hi, I've had similar issues and decided to go with traditional pellets. Mine were late laying, and I decided to switch from expensive organic feed that didn't seem to be giving them the nutrition they needed, to the "layena" pellets. After waiting almost three months for an egg, within a few days of switching to the traditional feed they started laying. I supplement with good scratch, and extra protein treats. I will use the leftover "organic dust" to make dog biscuits.

3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    What brand of organic feed are you using? There was someone here on BYC just recently that was having a similar issue with LOTS of dust with a particular brand. I think they said more than half the bag was dust, which sounds excessive. I don't recall the name of the brand, but I would recognize it if I saw it.

In any case, you might try a different style of feeder. When we were using a feed that had lots of dust, we were using a homemade treadle feeder. The feed tray was quite deep and it took a while before the dust built up that I needed to scoop it out. I then used the dust to mix with yogurt and fed it to the birds...and they loved it. Often the dust is the "pre-mix" aka the additional essential vitamins and minerals added to the feed to boost nutrition. You certainly don't want to toss it. I'm not a chicken feed expert, but I think that vegetable oils are often used to attempt to bind the pre-mix dust to the pellets/crumbles/grains. Vegetable oils can go rancid very quickly, which is not healthy to ingest. My hunch is that some of the organic feed producers are more mindful of this fact and therefore use less oils. But that truly is just my hunch.

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably not a long term solution due to labor (depending on how much feed you us) but if you have an excess of 'dust' I would mix it into a thick dough with water and force it though a pasta machine or a meat grinder (remove blade and just force though small hole plate) and then put it in a 200° F oven until dry... Presto from dust to pellets...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by