Organic chic starter vs. home made chic starter ? ? ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eureka Jennifer, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Eureka Jennifer

Eureka Jennifer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Eureka, California
    I have read a bunch of websites about making home made food but I am terrified that anything home made wont have the vitamins that the chika chicks need. Any body have experience with home made foods and what about organic feeds, any idea who has the best and just doesnt throw a bunch of corn in it and call it good.... This is so challenging. My baby girls dont arrive till June and I am glad because there is so much research to do.

Thank you for your input !

2. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Well for food i fed my chicks anything.
    They had a base feed of chicks crumbles, but they didn't really eat much of that coz it's so boring. They liked eating scraps out of our dinner and pecking grass and soil and looking for bugs.
    Now they are big chickens they basically live on the stuff they find in the garden. They are bored to death of their layer pellets [​IMG] When they see me go outside holding a bowl they come running and won't go away coz they're used to me giving them treats. Over the course of the months their favourite foods included grapes, chocolate ice cream, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, boiled eggs, eggs, and their all time fav is chicken!!! [​IMG]

As for homemade feed, I have never tried it.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Just go ahead and get the commercial starter for your new chicks. You and they will be a lot better off. It is nutritionally balanced for them. You can't say the same thing for something you concoct yourself. New babies have enough to contend with without being fed a diet that may be inadequate for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by