organic chick start making them more active?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jgervais, Jul 22, 2011.

1. jgervais

jgervais Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
    My first round of 13 chicks sexed as pullets (though one came out to be a rooster) - 4 EE's, 2 buff orps, 4 barred rocks and 3 ISA's -- I got in April. I used the regular medicated chick start until they were several weeks old. They were healthy chicks and pretty active, all very normal looking with my limited knowledge of chickens.

A week ago I picked up 19 brand new Dorking chicks straight run. Now these little guys are active. I came in and one was sitting on top of the food jar, I opened the dog cage theyre in and one ran out did a donut and ran back in. They scratch the ground regularly and jump up to try to pick at the cardboard surrounding it - Maybe I've forgotten, but I just don't remember the others being so rambunctious. They are active and really good looking chicks (with my limited knowledge anyway...)

The Dorking chicks I have on organic chick start - not medicated.

Anyone else have experience with more active chicks on the non-medicated? Maybe just a coincidence or difference in breed. I was too scared to use un-medicated with my first round of chicks, but feel better using organic now that Im more confident I wont kill them all [​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I"ve always fed my new chicks regular medicated chick starter and have never noticed any lack of activity or energy. Quite the contrary actually.

3. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    One week to the next as chicks mature their acivity levels change, so could very well have nothing to do with the feed.

I like the idea of being as chemically free as possible, but it is a bit of a dice game one round of chicks sick with cocci can be a mind changer.

4. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    How cute!!! This is my first time with chicks, and i also wanted to go organic, but after some research i decided to go with the medicated starter. When they are ready for layer feed i will move on to organic. My girls are all active too, well all but 1, but she is the smallest of the bunch. They are about a week and a half old and already use the perch to fly up to the top of the brooder! Silly girls [​IMG]

5. jgervais

jgervais Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
    yeh - likely not the feed. maybe they just love the 90 degree weather we've been having, pretty ideal for newborn babies...

i just wondered if anyone else had noticed a difference - Im definitely nervous about using an unmediated feed, but really prefer the idea of organic more.

6. capayvalleychick

capayvalleychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Guinda CA
    Maybe they're just exceptionally happy, healthy little peeps???

I haven't used medicated starter for many years, since I want cocci resistant chickens. I haven't had large losses, maybe a chick or two, when I've bought hatchery stock.

If you want to really see active chicks, try feeding them mealworms ! [​IMG]

Kim

7. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    My little barred rock chicks are much more active and friendly than the EE chicks were. Then the silkies were even less active and very friendly, too. I think the activity is more of the breed.

8. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    Quote:I agree. My sebrights are like a pair of hyperactive boys, whereas the friesians are like a couple of 16 year-old girls; quite happy to just sit and do their nails all day!

9. tourn

tourn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Northern NJ
    In my opinion, chicks never need medicated feed. If they are kept warm and dry and un-crowded, then they will be just fine. I have always used organic feeds, and have even just ground up organic corn, barley, and wheat I get locally for starter food. Let them free range to eat grubs and such as soon as they can get outside. There is always some mortality with chicks, a small percentage, which I think is the same with or without medicated feed. Medicated feed might be "necessary" in industrial crowded chicken production, but it is not a good idea anywhere, and is never needed on a small farm or in the back yard. I used to add a small amount of apple cider vinegar to their water to cut down on coccidiosis, but have come to the conclusion that even that is not needed. Give them fresh, clean water, relatively clean bedding (or use wire) and they will build up their natural immunities just fine.

10. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:i think it's a great idea to go with organic food (you can make your own with little expense (especially if you free range)). that said, i wanted to point out to have an "organic chicken" or an "organic egg", your chickens must be started with organics from day two of life. they cannot have anything else. ever.

unsure if that's a concern for you, but again, just wanted to point it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by