Organic chick starter? Grind up regular organic feed??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mom2mnem, Feb 27, 2014.

1. mom2mnem

mom2mnem Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Is that possible? To just grind up regular organic layer feed? What would need to be added to it to make it into what the chicks need? I am having a hard time finding organic starter feed. :(

Am I correct in remembering that in wanting to keep chickens organic, you cannot do the normal medicated feed?

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    There is too much calcium in layer feed for chicks. If you only have a few chicks order some organic starter online from a hatchery or feed dealer. I know murray mcmurray sells it.

1 person likes this.
  3. mom2mnem

mom2mnem Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Ah, I see. hmmm... well, I can order some, but we may be picking up some chicks at Tractor Supply tomorrow. Can I make my own starter feed? I have the equipment to do it and will be hitting a health food store tomorrow where I can pick up extra things I might need.

4. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I am sure there are some recipes on this site. I would make sure they have a balanced diet so you don't get issues with them. I just feed nature wise non-medicated starter. The rest of their life is pretty organic, out on pasture.

1 person likes this.
  5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    If you are raising certified organic hens, than they have to eat organic feed from the first day they start eating. Any chicks from TSC, are not going to be in that category because they have been eating regular GMO medicated feed. If you concern is just for the eggs they produce being "organic", than just switch them as they get closer to laying.

1 person likes this.
  6. Christina726

Christina726 New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    I am about to buy this from Azure Standard. Look them up and see if there is a route close to you. You have to remember that you only order once a month though, so make sure you order enough. This is my first time raising chickens so I have no idea on how much to order!

1 person likes this.
  7. chickeelina

chickeelina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Woodland Hills, CA
    do you get your hens certified organic? i think it would be great for selling off eggs at my local feed store!

8. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    To become certified organic is an expensive and lengthy process. Not only do the hens and every bit they eat need to be organic but your property must be certified as well. Unless you have 1000+ hens, you could never recoup your costs. If you are looking for a niche market, than just sell the eggs as raised organic, fed organic, freerange non GMO... whatever your market needs and can support. When your chicks come in the mail they have not eaten anything so if you feed them only organic chick starter, you essentially have an "organic" chick but all that goes out the window when they play on your fertilized lawn. Selling eggs legit typically requires licensing by the state even selling at farmer's market you must comply. Most of us fly under the radar by just selling to friends and family, maybe CL or an ad out on the road so we don't comply with any regulations.

1 person likes this.
  9. chickeelina

chickeelina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Interesting. Thank you!

10. Craftygirl

Craftygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2013
    Nebraska
    I was about to ask almost the same question and ran into this thread. I have been giving my chicks gmo starter non medicated food (Nutrena) But now after learning more, I want mu eggs to be organic eggs. If I start feeding them non-gmo layer feed before they start laying then my eggs will essentially be organic? So long as anything else they get is also organic?

We don't fertilize anything in the garden and my chicks are in a run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by