Organic chick starter- how much do I need?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EggheadsRus, Jun 25, 2011.

1. EggheadsRus

EggheadsRus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    I am purchasing 10 Delaware chicks and would like to get the organic chick starter; it comes in 5lb bag -- does anyone know how long that would last for 10 chicks? The site I was looking at said it would last for one week, but I am assuming that is for more than the number of chicks I will have and I don't want to buy more than I will need for eight weeks. [​IMG]

Help please!

EggheadsRus

2. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I would look for one you can buy in 25 or 50 lb bag. It will be a better price per pound. We are using Organic pride, our local feed store carries it, we will be switching to Azure standard cascade organic layer when we get layer feed. My 6 girls went through food fast.

3. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    My 15 chicks (all standard size) used a 25lb bag in the first month. Then almost another 25lbs in the next two weeks. Currently, at 12 weeks, we're up to 25lbs for about 10 days, plus treats.

That comes out to a little more than 1.6 lbs/each for the first month, (about 16lbs for your ten); and maybe another 32lbs or so for the second month or around 50lbs for 8 weeks...
    Gosh. Hope I did that math right [​IMG]
    ANYWAY! Just my experience... [​IMG] Good Luck!

4. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    well my 10 chicks went threw a 5 pound bag in less than a week then a 25 pound bag lasted the rest of the first month and the second month they went threw a 50 pound bag of feed at 8 and a half weeks i switched them over to grower finnisher feed and the 50 pound bag has lasted them almost 3 and a half weeks now i noticed they were getting low on it so ive got another bag ready now im thinking they might be wasteing more then they are eatting now plus im giving them all kinds of treats they are getting a few slices of bread almost every day fresh grass clippings worms and they love fresh strawberries

5. 5chicks4us

5chicks4us Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    I have 4 chicks and they are still working on their 20# bag of organic starter and they are 8 weeks old. They've spent the majority of their time in the chicken tractor though since they were 5 weeks. That has helped cut down on their consumption of feed a bit.

6. henaynei

henaynei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Ashe County, NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by