Organic chick starter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cochinbantam-lover, May 10, 2009.

1. cochinbantam-lover

cochinbantam-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hi, an Happy Mother's Day to all you Moms out there!

What do you think of organic chick starter? I wasn't going to use it but then I just bought it to try and now I am concerned about not using the medicated stuff, should I be and should I just go get some of the medicated also? I was surprized at the cost, tho I guess I shouldn't be it was like 25.00 for what I don't think is a very large bag! Please advise!! Thanks much!

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Out of the 4 feed stores I have been to with in a hour of me, only one sells medicated chick starter, but they all sell chicks. So I am assuming they should be okay not on medicated feed.

I buy a 50 lbs bag Organic starter/ grower crumbles for $25 here in SoCal. It is double the cost or more of conventional feeds I can find locally.

3. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    I have used Organic starter for the last 2 batches of chicks w/100% success.

4. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for your replies!! I will use the organic starter! [​IMG] I thought it would be a good thing but wasn't sure.

5. eponagirl

eponagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    I am using the organic soy free chick starter from www.countrysidenatural.com , it has no meds in it, but does have something called probiotics in it that helps build their immune system (same kind of thing that is in yogurt-live yeast cultures that help build GOOD bacteria in the gut) as well as other healthy nutrients that help. Perhaps your organic feed has some in it too?
    My chicks are only 3.5 weeks old, but have been happy healthy chicks so far! [​IMG]

6. cochinbantam-lover

May 1, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I'll have a look, thanks!

7. Puff

Puff Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    I'm using McGeary organic chick starter (http://www.mcgearyorganics.com/) and my chicks are 4 weeks old now and doing great. I bought mine from MPC originally but found the company online, contacted them as they are only a few states away and will buy directly from them in future (saves me $25+ for 50lbs). The chicks seem to really like it. The only caution would be storing it correctly as it does not have preservatives etc in it and would spoil faster.

8. eponagirl

eponagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    For storing organic grains or anything that you want airtight, I found this great product that I've been using:

Vittles Vault

(google it-sold at petsmart, petco, etc- comes in different sizes)

Since we are using organic stuff, I thought it worth the investment...not cheap, but will last forever.

9. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I deal with the perishable issue by splitting each bag with the neighbor across street and then storing it in a plastic sealed bin, but not a fancy one. I feed 6 (3-4 month old) chickens for about 3 weeks on the 25lbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by