Organic Chicken Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SoyBean, May 20, 2008.

1. SoyBean

SoyBean Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Richmond, Virginia
    Since I'm possibly venturing into keeping chickens, I was wondering if there is an organic chicken food? Bedding? Also what kinds of things would want to add to their diet. I've heard oyster shells for calcium. Can you get these organic? Anything else?

2. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    My local Agway carries an organic chick starter feed. I don't know how good it is since I wanted a medicated starter though.

So it does exist.

Not sure about the rest of the stuff...

3. SoyBean

SoyBean Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Richmond, Virginia
    Is there any way to make your own chicken feed, from scratch?

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    There are many types of the feed you are looking for on the market. Or you can make an organic feed yourself. Again I will state, "You CAN NOT have a true organic feed today". No matter what anyone says there is just to much junk in the air. Many people tell you and charge you for organic that is not. I know some try their best to get it close, but no cigar. If you could build a bubble over your land and let nothig from the outside in, you might stand a small chance of raising organic feed.
    Let your chickens free range and that will get you close to organic.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Here is a link for you. http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/ppp/pppToC.html#toc Check out the food and feeding section for feed rations.

While it is true that organic is no guarantee of toxin free, it does reduce the concentration of toxins in the feed. Worth the price in my opinion considering what my animals ingest I eventually ingest through eating them or their eggs.

Free ranging is great for chickens also.

6. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    feed yes, bedding no. but pine shavings are pine shavings, they don't manage forests with pesticides. note that whatever you put on the ground though, chopped straw or whatever, will be eaten.

Be aware that you're looking at 50# of feed for $18 instead of $10-11 for conventional and if you have enough pasture for them they won't be eating that much feed every day anyway.

7. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    oh, and you won't be reducing your carbon foot-print by using most of the organic feeds as they come by rail from the midwest too.

8. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    At the moments, my hens are eating feed fromhttp://countrysidenatural.com/, which is a lot closer to you than it is to me. I've also made my own feed using this recipe: http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/ChickenFeedRecipe.htmland will be going back to that soon. My new chicks are eating homemade chick starter, too. One of the many reasons I like making my own is that even if I can't get every ingredient from local farmers, I can incorporate whatever local grains I can get.
    Yes, it's true that nothing is free of pollution anymore, but that doesn't mean we can't try to keep our exposure as low as possible.

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    My Little Sister's Farm :

feed yes, bedding no. but pine shavings are pine shavings, they don't manage forests with pesticides.

I don't know about today, but in the early eighties a friend was a pilot for the U S Forest Service. He told me that he would spray more agent orange each summer over the forest in Ca., than he did in a year in Viet Nam. Don't know for sure which got him, but he did die from contact with agent orange.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by