Organic Chicken Feed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rudy57, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Rudy57

Rudy57 New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    Is there any company out there that makes organic chicken feed?

I was at Tractor Supply checking on chicken feed and I was reading the bag and there are ingredients in there I have never heard of before. This stuff really can't be all that good for the chickens is it?

2. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    There are a number of organic feeds available. NatureSmart Organic feed is what we use for our flock. TSC doesn't carry it, but our local feed store does. -might check with feed stores in your area to see what organic brands they offer.

3. wrenfri

wrenfri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2013
    Western Washington
    Another good organic feed is scratch and peck, organic, GMO free.

4. Melnurse

Melnurse Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2014
    Washington
    Huh... just went to the website and they guarantee that their feed is GMO free.

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    If it has GMOs, it is not organic. I find it hard to believe Cargill would tell someone this. Their feed is certified organic, so it should not contain conventional grain. I am going to call them & ask about it. That being said, I would not use Nature Smart just because it is made by Cargill, one of the biggies that jumped on the organic bandwagon & a company I have little faith in. There are many regional organic feeds, so knowing where you are would help. One that is distributed to many states is Nature's Best out of Kreamer, PA.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by