Organic Chickens. What can they eat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by someplumbcoop, Dec 22, 2010.

1. someplumbcoop

someplumbcoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2010
    North Carolina
    I'm trying to have my chickens be totally organic. Does that mean they can't eat anything that isn't organic?

2. Talihofarms

Talihofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    It depends on the level of organic you are seeking. Certified or others. To be certified, the feed the grass or anything in between must be certified organic. This can be as simple as feeding the chickens organic feed. Or as complex as assuring that your land is free from any and all chemicals. I belive 3 years prior to certification. And no GMO. then the fun begins....Getting Certified.$$$$$$

just my .02

Good Luck

3. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Thats what I wanted to do- totally organic.
    However, it has become impractical for me in reality.

I do feed only organic feed, but they get non-organic treats.

They love bread & veggies and lots of treats I give them are just not organanic so technically, they are NOT organic chickens even though their feed and scratch is organic.

4. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    If you are not selling $5000 or more in goods you do not need to be certified to claim organic.

My recomondation is to research and learn what goes into being organic certified. DO all those things in your own ways... For example if you let your chickens free range be sure to not put pesticides and chemical fertilizers on your lawn.[​IMG]

Learning the standard is a good education if nothing else..

IMO letting your birds pasture or free range on land you know that is not a toxic waste dump is healthier than keeping them locked up and feeding certified organic feed..
    ...Natural methods with common sense always keeping the standard in your mind as you choose what to feed.

ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by