Organic Chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chocobroc, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    What makes a chicken (well, their eggs actually) organic? If they are vaccinated will they not be considered organic? Do they have to be feed completely organic feed? This may be very stupid questions but I'm a newbie and I'm still learning. [​IMG]

Thanks in advanced for all the feedback...

2. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm going to bump this for you. I don't have the answer, but maybe someone else will!

3. le neige homme

le neige homme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Quote:It's not as easy as it should be to find these answers. I do have them buried somewhere around here.

Try ccof.org and http://www.attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/PDF/organicpoultry.pdf

Neither
    of these sites is all that easy to navigate. I don't know why they don't just have a big link that says "click here to read all about the requirements". The best way to decipher CCOF's information is to actually download the application.

Basically, livestock needs to be raised organically from Day 1 or Day 2 (?). Vaccinations are okay. Yes, completely organic feed is required, with a few allowances for exceptions in certain cases.

4. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I guess it depends on what you mean by Organic. Do you mean the FDA Approved, Stamped, and Certified Organic - or do you mean as "God intended all natural"?

FDA approved means you follow their guidelines and the standards they set to be certifiably organic. I do not believe this is true organic, it's just government approved.

Here's an idea of how we raise all our animals (not just our chickens):
    ~ we do not use chemicals or pesticides on our farm
    ~ we do not use any feeds with medications or animal by products in the ingredients
    ~ we do not feed GMO grains
    ~ most of our animals are in grassy pastures, and eat only grass. Animals not in grassy pastures are fed fresh picked grass and greens daily.
    ~ We cull any deformities or signs of illness out - we have tried to treat illness in the past, but culling is sooo much easier
    ~ we do not use hormones or vaccinate anything. We rely on their natural immune systems and allow them to grow at their natural rate.

We do not consider ourselves organic, but we do consider our farm as a natural farm - as in as nature intended.

5. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    To establish an Organic Bird chicken animal or egg. The Land must be at least free from each and every man made chemicals. This means No weed spray No Pest spray. DE Food grade is approved as organic threw USDA. The yard must be free and clear for 3 years prior to the beginning of your Organic farm. (thats 3 full years of NO chemicals) At which Time a state inspector Would take soil samples to assure the land is organic You would need to plant only organic seed as well. Meaning crops that have never had any man made chemicals on them. (for at least 3 years as well.
    For example I clean my brooder out with lysol But an Organic farmer would use apple cider vinager. I use temp 2 to spray my Coops . Organic farmers Us Food grade DE.
    Alot of your organic farmers also Use compost bens and fill them with worms in many cases I read that worms are the most organic food a Chicken can eat. You cannot medicate or vaccinate your birds at any given time. Unless this is done with natural herbs that are organic as well. To truly be Organic one must be 100% natural in every aspect.
    I can send you a packet on organic farming if you send me an E-mail or PM
    Were 4 months into our organic Broiler yard. 2 years and 8 months to go [​IMG] Hope this helped.

6. dragonflydreamsfarm

dragonflydreamsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Northeast TN
    It is fairly interesting to meet all the requirements.

One nice thing is that the regulations do not start to apply until the second day (this means you can buy chicks ANYWHERE as long as you raise them organically)

We've got 14 blue andelusian hens (+4 roosters [they gave us extra]) that we are raising organically.

One thing to point out is that under a certain threshold ($5000) you do NOT have to pay someone to officially certify you. You can legally call the chickens/eggs organic, but you can't actually use the green white logo on your packaging (because it reads CERTIFIED organic).

Even if you do not have to certify you DO still have to meet the program requirements.

The biggest is that ALL (and that means ALL) food must be certified organic.
    No meds
    They must have access to the outside.
    All land they have access to MUST meet organic requirements as well (3 year no spray).
    Another gotcha that you need to watch is pressure treated wood. They can not have any access to treated wood. We bought a shed to convert but had to cover all the interior walls/floor and keep the chickens away from the outside also.

While it is true that if you plant it must be organic seed that does not mean that you must replant anything. The three year transitional period "grandfathers" the existing ground cover.

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/organicpoultry.html is a good resource

The land requirement is the biggest reason our chickens are in our fenced yard area, which has been organic for 8 years. The main part of the farm was being used by family that did not follow organic standards so we can't use it for two more years.

7. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    -Organic Feed
    -No hormones or Antibiotics invovled
    -No chemicals

there are so many things that are the definition or 'organic' eggs, your better off just selling them as free range or fresh eggs.

8. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    One nice thing is that the regulations do not start to apply until the second day (this means you can buy chicks ANYWHERE as long as you raise them organically)

I am not sure this is correct, I am not challenging as much as I am asking for verification. Some hatcheries (Tyson and many others) use antibiotics (gentamicin) on eggs at 18 days. I would like to think that would not be allowed for organic production. The USDA regs are so long and involved I am not inclined to look it up.

Many thanks if there is further clarification​

9. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Thank you so much for everyone's feedback. I'm only raising chickens for personal use (layers). I am not going to sell my eggs or annouce in anyway that my chickens are 100% organic so while I'm going to try to meet the regulations on what it is required to be considered organic... I'm going to stick to how Quail_Antwerp put it and say, "God intended all natural"?

My Coop is going in my back yard which I can guarantee has not been touched with any chemicals

There will be no pressure treated wood in my coop/run

I will not feed them any medicated food only organic

Heavily considering the vaccination debate-- i'm on the fence. (Any opinions on this??)

Cleaing with all natural cleaners will be a must for me mainly because I'm so scared of hurting my chickens.

And while I'm apprehensive in letting them free range due to many dogs in my neighborhood, their run will be big enough to run around, get their excersize and have access to a lot of natural ground.

Again thank you!! I will have just as much satisfaction on saying "All Natural" as "Organic" especially if word usage has the potential to "ruffle feathers" [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  10. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Organic in terms of the USDA standard is very specific. If it is for your use and friends it is quite ok to just explain what you do and have done and if it meets a higher standard than normal that is good.

Nice to see someone that is going as close to organic as possible without getting all wrapped up in the minutia. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by