Organic egg and meat prices?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenoverlord, Jan 6, 2013.

1. chickenoverlord

chickenoverlord Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought it would be a good idea to list the prices people charge/pay for organic eggs and meat. I charge $2 a dozen for free range, organic eggs, and I have a waiting list of customers. Anyone else?

2. maggiemo

maggiemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    Front Range Colorado
    I charge $5 a dozen for organic fed, pasture raised eggs. I can sell I have and more.

3. raizin

raizin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Oregon
    My Coop
    i have free range chickens and sell the eggs for $3/doz. We are so rural that the organic doesn't change the price but the free range does.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    $2/dozen?!?!? How are you covering your costs? My costs are $2.80/dozen, including the carton. We sell for $3.50, but ours aren't organic--with organic feed costs and certification, we'd have to charge like $4.50/dozen.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Are you certified organic or do you just feed organic feed? Big difference!

6. chickenoverlord

chickenoverlord Chillin' With My Peeps

Certified organic. I don't feed much feed, they find most of there food in the woods. And I make just barely enough money to cover costs. I provide my community with cost-efficient healthy eggs:)

7. Super8

Super8 New Egg

Jan 8, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    In my area people feeding their hens organic layer pellets and/or free range can command $6.00 - $6.50 per dozen. Organic layer pellets are just about double the cost of standard pellets. So it makes sense that organic eggs are double the price. Very important not to lose money in your outfit even if just selling eggs as a hobby.

8. littleseed

littleseed Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2016
    $6 a dozen here in Michigan.
    None of my customers give a care about certifications.
    Ours truly free range all day 15 acres. We have a hen house but no "chicken pen" or fencing.
    I supplement with organic feed in the produce months they get tons of veggies from our non certified organic gardens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by